Tag Archives: pierre affuter la lune

Chapter:”Zanarelli, Galtié”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


Chapter: Zanarelli, Galtié

 1911/ 16 April

Valentin Ghelfi, son of “Constantino Ghelfi” bought a grindstone
factory, situated at “80, r. St-Maur., Paris, thereby leaving
7, r.Charlot” 
and creating two company’s that sold
grind- and sharpening stones

(gallica.bnf.fr Link,
Archives commerciales de la France 1874-1955 Link)

Sellers Purchasers Funds sold
Galtié Ghelfi Grindstones, 80, St.Maur.

Link

On a receipt of 1931 we see that “Galtié” worked
with a “Vve. Zanarelli” at “80, Rue St. Maur” &
74, Avenue de la Republique“, before
it was sold to “Valentin Ghelfi

“Vve. Valentin Ghelfi” Successeur Anciennes Maisons
“Vve. Zanarelli & J. Galtié”, et “Valentin Ghelfi”

So, who was Zanarelli and Galtié?

Sadly, at the moment, I can’t find anything more of “Galtié“,
I think though there are some things to be told about “Zanarelli

Most probably, the late husband of “Vve Zanarelli” was
Zanarelli François


1885

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres à aiguiser, Saint-Maur, 95
& rue Oberkampf 52”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones, Saint-Maur, 95
& rue Oberkampf 52”

Link1Link2


1886

Zanarelli, “rue Oberkampf, 52” disappeared

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres & meules à aiguiser,
Saint-Maur, 95”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones & grindstones,
Saint-Maur, 95”

Link1Link2

Although there is a mentioning of “Zanarelli (François)”,
“Saint-Maur, 93”,

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), “Saint-Maur, 93”

Link

I believe it to be a typo, because the following enumeration of
people living on each address doesn’t show “Zanarelli (François)”
at “Saint-Maur, 93”, only at “Saint-Maur, 95”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres & meules à aiguiser,
Saint-Maur, 95”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones & grindstones,
Saint-Maur, 95”

Link


1890, 7 Jan.

Zanarelli (François)” needed to move out…

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Expropriation pour cause d’utilite publique
ouverture de l’avenue république, section comprise entre
la rue oberkampf et la rue st-Maur.
·
Tableau de offers aux propriétaires et aux locataires à bail:
Rue Oberkampf, 74; rue Saint Maur 95-97 &
avenue Parmentier, 80
·
Zanarelli (François), marchand des meules”
“Expropriation for public utility
Opening of the Republic Avenue section between
oberkampf Street and St-Maur street.
·
Table offers to owners and leaseholders:
Rue Oberkampf, 74; rue Saint Maur 95-97 &
avenue Parmentier, 80
·
Zanarelli (François), merchant grindstones”

Link


1893

Zanarelli (François)” moved (most probably in 1890)
to “76, rue St-Maur
(which is very close to “80, rue St-Maur“!

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), meules à aiguiser, Saint-Maur, 76”
“Zanarelli (François), grindstones, Saint-Maur, 76”

Link1Link2

(on these documents, no businesses were held at
“80, rue St-Maur” → see Link2)


1896

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres à aiguiser, Saint-Maur, 76”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones, Saint-Maur, 76”

Link


1897

Zanarelli (François ), still at “76, r. St-Maur”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres à aiguiser, Saint-Maur, 76”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones, Saint-Maur, 76”

Link1Link2

(on these documents, no businesses were held at
“80, rue St-Maur” → see Link2)

Although it is not clear when “Zanarelli” moved to “80, rue St-Maur
and when he start working with “Galtié” (has to be between
1897-1911), for me it seems most probable though that this
Zanarelli François” is actually the one who worked with “Galtié“,
which was later succeeded by “Vve. Valentin Ghelfi
(Successeur Anciennes Maisons “Vve. Zanarelli & J. Galtié”,
et “Valentin Ghelfi”)


Another connection between “Zanarelli” and “Ghelfi” is DOMENICA CIPRIANA ZANARELLI (°1854), who was the wife of the nephew of CONSTANTINO GHELFI‘s wife

Or, put it another way, Constantino’s wife was MARIA ADELINA TARANTOLA (°1851), one of her nephews was CARLO TARANTOLA (°1849), who was married to
DOMENICA CIPRIANA ZANARELLI (°1854)

This doesn’t link “Zanarelli François” with the “Ghelfi’s” though…


What does link “Zanarelli François” with the “Ghelfi’s” is
the following wedding certificate:
“Nom: François Dominique Zanarelli
Adresse: r. Ste-Marguerite, 29
Filiation de Jean Zanarelli et Joséphine Gabrielli
Conjoint: Louise Ghelfi (Also written as Ghelli, Ghelfé)
Publication: 20 Juin, 1886
Arrondissement: 12”
“Name: François Dominique Zanarelli
Address: st. Ste-Marguerite, 29
Parentage: Jean Zanarelli and Joséphine Gabrielli
Spouse: Louise Ghelfi (Also written as Ghelli, Ghelfé)
Published: June 20, 1886
District: 12”

Link

So, in 1886, “Zanarelli Francois” lived at “Rue Marguerite 29
and married “Ghelfi Louise“, while Giovannacci (D.)
and “Laurent Ghelfi” worked together at
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29“, in the same year!
In these documents, there are only references of businesses
to be found, not private addresses, so it is normal that we
can’t find “Zanarelli Francois” in these documents, living
at “Rue Marguerite 29
A bit further in time, another wedding certificate of the sister of
Zanarelli Francois” reveals a little bit more:
“Nom: Zanarelli, Marie Rose
Adresse: r. Ste-Marguerite, 29
Filiation de Zanarelli, Jean et Gabrielli, Joséphine
Conjoint: de Obizzo,Malaspina Alexandre Léopold Joséph Marie
Publication: 26 Fevr., 1882
Arrondissement: 11”
“Name: Zanarelli, Marie Rose
Address: st. Ste-Marguerite, 29
Parentage: Zanarelli, Jean et Gabrielli, Joséphine
Spouse: de Obizzo, Malaspina Alexander Léopold Joséph Marie
Published: 26 Feb., 1882
District: 11”

Link

 “de Obizzo, Malaspina” lived at “rue Popincourt …3
I don’t know if it has anything to do with “Malaspina“,
who worked with “Ghelfi“…



⇐ Previous chapter: “L. Belle”
⇒ Next chapter: “Short detailed chronology” & “In conclusion”


 

Chapter:”Short detailed chronology” & “In conclusion”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


Lastly, a really short detailed chronology Emoji:

1845 “Maison Fondée en 1845”
1873 “Bardotti, Giovanace” (“Giovannacci”),
29, Rue Saint-Marguerite
1883-1885 Giovanacci brothers29, Rue Saint-Marguerite
1883-1885
 Bardotti & Ghelfi, “106, faub St-Antoine“,
(“Bardotti“, “Constantin & Laurent Ghelfi“)
1886 “Hélin & Malaspina
1886 Hélin et Cie“, “passage d’Angoulême (d’Augoulême), 9
1886 “Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie“, “106, faub St-Antoine
(“Bardotti“, “Constantin Ghelfi” & “Malaspina“)
1886-1889 Giovannacci (D.-Dominico)” & “Laurent Ghelfi“,
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29
1886-1889 “Montedonico, Ghelfi & Co“,
44 (54?), Great Sutton-street, London
(“Giovanni Baptista Ghelfi” & “Joseph Montedonico“)
1889/ 24 February “Ghelfi & Cie“, “106,faub. St.-Antoine
(Constantino Ghelfi“, “Malaspinas Léopold” &
Capriata-Démosthênes Jean“)
1890/ 10 Juin Judicial liquidation “Demosthenes et Cie
106,faub. St.-Antoine
1890/ 6 September “Constantino Ghelfi” went bankrupt together
with “Malaspinas Léopold” & “Capriata-Démosthênes Jean
106,faub. St.-Antoine
1890 “Laurent Ghelfi” & “Dominico Giovannacci” moved to
84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine“, their steam plant, moved from
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29” (see 1886) to “r. de Charonne, 61
1890 Demosthènes & Cie” (Capriata Demosthènes Jean),
Faub.-St-Antoine, 56 & 66, steam plant, “passage du Chantier, 5
1893 “J. Demosthènes & Cie“, bankrupt “5, passage du Chantier
1893 – 1897 “Demosthènes & Cie”, new company, still at
Faub.-St-Antoine, 66” (not anymore at “Faub.-St-Antoine, 56“),
steam plant moved to “passage du Chantier, 16
1894 “Fernand Ghelfi” 
moved to “Faub.-St-Antoine, 56
(living there)
1894 “Antonin BIROLLEAU“, administrator quarries
Merviller-Vacqueville
1896 “A. Birolleau“, exploiting sandstone quarries at “muschelkack”
1897
 Anonymous company” of the quarries “Merviller-Vacqueville
1897 “Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi” joined
⇒”Giovannacci D.” & L.&B. Ghelfi
⇒”84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine
1902/ 1 January “Ghelfi (L. & B.)” sold
84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine” to “Giovannacci
1902/ 31 December “D.Giovannacci” resold
84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine” to “Belle
1903 “Fernand Ghelfi” founded “F.Ghelfi & Cie” “7, rue Charlot
1908 “Belle” moved from 84, r. du Faub. St.-Antoine to
87, r. du Faub. St. Antoine
1908-1912 The “maisons” or “houses / etablishments” of
⇒”F.Ghelfi & cie” and “Birolleau” became united,
⇒”F.Ghelfi & Cie” “7, rue Charlot
⇒”Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies” ⇒ F.G.B.C.”
1911/ 16 April “Valentin Ghelfi“, son of “Constantino Ghelfi”
⇒”80, r. St-Maur.
1916 Belle“, successor of “D. Giovannacci and L.& B. Ghelfi
87, Faubg. St. Antoine
1922 “F.Ghelfi & Cie
⇒”Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies” ⇒ F.G.B.C.”
⇒”47,Rue de Saintonge“, aside to “7, Rue Charlot
1923 “Vve (= widow) Valentin (?)“, “80, r. St-Maur.
1923 Birolleau” bought the rights of the company “F. Ghelfi & Cie“,
47, Saintonge” 
from “Demuth
1931 “Birolleau” (sons) owns the firm:
F.Ghelfi & Cie” “Anciens établissements
⇒”Birolleau Fils, propriétaires
1935 Vve Valentin Ghelfi” became the owner of
établissements BELLE
“87, r. du Faub. St. Antoine”
1939 “Sir Laurent Ghelfi” went back to Italy (Pontremoli – MS)
1952 F.G.B.C. “Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements
⇒”F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie” “47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris
1957/ 28 December
⇒”Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements F. Ghelfi, Birolleau et Cie“,
“Société à responsabilité limitée” or S.A.R.L.
= “Limited liability company”
1985 “Nouvelle société des anciens établissements”
F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie” 47, Rue de Saintonge“⇒ F.G.B.C.
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir”
2007 “Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements F. Ghelfi, Birolleau et Cie“,
S.A.R.L. , wholesale supplier, “5 rue de Douai, Paris
2011   moved to “156, rue de Tolbiac” until 2014



In conclusion:

There were a couple of agricultural families originated from
Mulazzo, Lunigiani who, because of financial reasons, needed to
go into the world. 
They firstly became traveling sellers of
stones, books,… until settling down in, for example, Paris.
They kept on selling fantastic high quality grinding, sharpening
and honing stones, of which we still 
have the supreme
pleasure of using them!

 There is still loads of information to be gathered, for instance,
we know that “F.G.B.C.” distributed stones to other suppliers
as for example “Manufrance”.
 

Occasionally, there are stones to be found as the
“Special stone only for good razors”, together with a label of
“Manufrance Saint-Etienne”.

In catalogs of “Manufrance” there are also links to be found of the
“Special stone”, for example this “Special stone” / “Pierre spéciale”
with very fine grit. The stone has two sides, one for honing a
D.E. blade“, the other for “straight razors“:

 courtesy of “David M Rosenstein”; Catalog “Manufrance” 1961:

1961 Manufrance David M Rosenstein


The future will give us hopefully more information,
so that we can discover even more about its fascinating history…

 Written for and with the huge help of:
razorlovestones.wordpress.com Link“,
Fikira

 



⇐ Previous chapter: “Zanarelli, Galtié”

Chapter:”L. Belle”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


“L. Belle”

1902/ 1 January – 31 December 

As previous mentioned, “D.Giovannacci” became the owner
of the fund 
“84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine, Paris”on
1 January 1902, he
 resold it to Mr. Belle on 31 December 1902

(https://books.google.be/books;
Journal des tribunaux de commerce 1910)

“… Giovannacci became, as from 1 January 1902,
the only owner of the funds, he resold it December 311902
to Belle, the plaintiff in the current trial … “

Link

The building itself, not the fund, was still property of “Ghelfi”
We’ve established that “Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi”
must have been the owner


1908-1909

A residential building of 7 floors was constructed for Mr. Ghelfi at
84 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine (12e arr.)”

  1. “PARIS 1876-1939 : LES PERMIS DE CONSTRUIRE” Link
  2. lib.ugent.be “Le Béton armé” (p.31) Link
  3. archiwebture.citechaillot.fr Link
“84 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine” (12e arr.)
Owner: Ghelfi, “30, avenue Daumesnil”
Architect: Jacquemin, “30, avenue Daumesnil”
Construction 7 floors
1 May 1908

Link


 1909
(private collection)

 This receipt of 1909 shows that “Belle” moved in 1909
(or earlier), 
from “84, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine”
to “87, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine”

“Pierres et meules à aiguiser & à polir”
“L. Belle”
“87 Faubourg St.-Antoine”
“ci-devant 84, même rue”
PARIS
“Stones and grindstones & polishing”
“L. Belle”
“87 Faubourg St. Antoine”
“Heretofore 84, same street”
PARIS

1909-l-belle-1


Another receipt (which I can’t show…), dated 15 January 1909,
lets me think (because it is so early in the year 1909) that “Belle
most probably moved from “84, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine
to “87, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine” in 1908
(being more specific then 1908-1909)

→ So:
·
“Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi” owned the house,
84 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine“,
rebuild it to a residential building in 1908.
·
“Belle”, who owned the business at
84, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine
(used to be property of Ghelfi), needed to move
to “87, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine” in 1908.


1916/ 28 December

Next document makes very clear that “Belle” was the successor of
“D. Giovannacci” and “L. & B. Ghelfi”

courtesy of Sebastian of “razorlovestones.com“:

“Pierres et meules à aiguiser & à polir”
“D.Giovannacci, L.&B.Ghelfi”
“L.BELLE Succr.”

“Bureaux & Magasins”: 
“87, Faubg. St. Antoine”
“ci-devant: 84, Fg. St. Antoine”

“Maison Fondée en 1845”

Usines (factories):
“Paris, 61, Rue de Charonne”
“Bédarrides (Vaucluse)”
“Massa (Italie)”
“Succursale à Londres”

1916:12:28 L. Belle Sebastian 1.jpg

  • Regrettably, at this moment I haven’t found more information about “Maison fondée en 1845” (“House” founded in 1845)…
  • “Bédarrides (Vaucluse)” is situated in southeastern France,
    in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region.
  • Usine a vapeur: “61, Rue de Charonne, Paris”
  • They also had a section in “London”
  • When compared with the postcard from 1898/ 11 November, 

“D. Giovannacci, L. & B. Ghelfi”

Bureaux et Magasins: 
“84, Faubourg St.-Antoine, Paris”

Usine a vapeur: “61, Rue de Charonne, Paris”
Usine hydraulique, à Canevara, près Massa (Italie)
Succursales à Londres et New-York

 it is clear that “L.Belle” acquired a lot more from
“D. Giovannacci, L. & B. Ghelfi” 
than only the fund
at “84, Faubourg St.-Antoine, Paris”!

Also note the “usine” in Massa, Italy,
this is where the Ghelfi’s originally came from!


1925

(gallica.bnf.fr Link, Annuaire industriel.
Répertoire général de la production française Link
)
Link1Link2Link3

“Belle (L.), 87, fbg. St-Antoine, Paris”
“Pierres et Meules à aiguiser, à l’huile, en corindon,…”

1928-1929

(https://books.google.be; “L’Annual”:
annuaire universel de l’industrie automobile
)

“BELLE”,
fabrique de meules en grès, et de pierres à aiguiser et à polir,
“87, rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine, Paris

Link


1935

(gallica.bnf.fr Link, Annuaire industriel.
Répertoire général de la production française
 Link)
Link1Link2Link3

“Belle (L.)”,
“87, fbg. St-Antoine, Paris”
“Pierres et Meules à aiguiser, à l’huile, en corindon,…”

1935/ 22 August
(Private collection)

Vve Valentin Ghelfi became the owner of etablissements BELLE:

“Etablissements BELLE”
“Veuve Valentin Ghelfi, Propriétaire”
“Meules, pierres, outillage, produits a aiguiser et a polir”

“Ancienne maison”

“D.Giovannacci, L.&B.Ghelfi”
“Fondée en 1845”

“M.P.O.P.”

“87, Faubourg Saint-Antoine, Paris”
“Magasin de Meules & Usine”
“72, Rue Saint-Maur, Paris”

1935-l-belle-mpop-1

M.P.O.P. stands for:
Meules, Pierres, Outillage, Produits a aiguiser et a polir


1938

Although it is established that the widow of “Valentin Ghelfi”
acquired the business back from “Belle”
, there are documents
to be found until 1938 of 
“L. Belle”, selling grinding, sharpening
and polishing stones at 
87, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine“,
so apparently, 
the company kept on using the name “L.Belle

This could mean that “L. Belle” had established a good and
well know name, maybe “Valentin Ghelfi” possibly didn’t.

When noticing the usage of the ancient names
“D.Giovannacci, L.&B.Ghelfi”, it is clear that those names
still were very well known, the names kept on being used,
even by the third owner of the company!

(gallica.bnf.fr Link, Annuaire industriel.
Répertoire général de la production française
 Link)

“BELLE (L.), 87, fbg St-Antoine”
“Ateliers: “61, r. de Charonne”
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser”

Link1Link2Link3

 For the moment unfortunately, we don’t know more
of 
who exactly Mr. “L. Belle” was…



⇐ Previous chapter: “Bardotti, Giovannacci”
⇒ Next chapter: “Zanarelli, Galtié”

 

Chapter: “Bardotti, Giovannacci,…”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


Chapter: Bardotti, Giovannacci

It is very hard to discover and identify who were the
“Bardotti”, “Giovannacci”,… of the firm “F.G.B.C.”

At this moment I can only highlight possible relations
in different families, 
with striking resemblances and
connections with the Ghelfi family 
and the stone trade. 

We know from documents (gallica.bnf.fr Link) that
“Bardotti” and “
Giovanace” (“Giovannacci”?) sold
sharpening and grindstones at:

29, Rue-Saint Marguerite”

1873:

“Bardotti”, first worked with “Giovanace” (“Giovannacci”),
“Rue Saint-Marguerite, 29”

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAlmanach des 40,000 adresses des fabricants de ParisLink)

Pierres et meules à aiguiser (Grind- & sharpening stones):
Bardotti, Giovanace, “Rue Saint-Marguerite, 29”

Link


1880

Giovannacci bought funds of a hotel at “29, Ste-Marguerite”

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la FranceLink p. 367)

Vendeur Acquéreurs Demeures des acquéreurs Désignation des fonds vendus
Clanet Gio-
vannacci
Rue Ste.-Marguerite, 29 Fonds hôtel,
Rue Ste.-Marg., 29
Seller Acquirers Buyer’s residence Designation sold funds
Clanet Giovannacci Rue Ste.-Marguerite, 29 Funds hotel,
Rue Ste.-Marg., 29

Link


1883

“Bardotti & Ghelfi”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, meules en grès et pierres à aiguiser, Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti & Ghelfi, sandstone grind- and sharpening stones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link

Bardotti also had a hotel at “Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 27

“Giovanacci”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Giovanacci frères, meules et pierres à aiguiser,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29”
Giovanacci brothers, grinding wheels and sharpening stones,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29

Link

Giovanacci also sold wine and had a hotel at
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29


1884

“Bardotti & Ghelfi”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, meules en grès et pierres à aiguiser, Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti & Ghelfi, sandstone grind- and sharpening stones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link

This company was most probably owned by:
Bardotti“, “Laurent Ghelfi” & “Constantin Ghelfi” (see further)

Bardotti also sold wine and had a hotel at
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 27

“Giovanacci”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Giovanacci frères, meules et pierres à aiguiser,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29”
Giovanacci brothers, grinding wheels and sharpening stones,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29

Link1Link2

Giovanacci also sold wine and had a hotel at
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29


1885

“Bardotti & Ghelfi”
(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, meules en grès et pierres à aiguiser,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti & Ghelfi, sandstone grind- and sharpening stones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link1Link2Link3Link4

This company was owned by:
Bardotti“, “Laurent Ghelfi” & “Constantin Ghelfi” (see further)

“Bardotti”  also had a hotel at “Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 27

“Giovanacci”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Giovanacci frères, meules et pierres à aiguiser,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29”
Giovanacci brothers, grinding wheels and sharpening stones,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29

Link1Link2Link3Link4

Giovanacci also sold wine and had a hotel at
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29


1885, 28 Oktober

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Archives commerciales de la France,
Journal bi-hebdomadaire, paraissant le Mercredi et le Samedi Link)

Vendeurs

Acquéreurs

Domiciles

Fonds vendus

Ghelfi Laurent

Bardotti et Ghelfi

 fg. St-Antoine, 106

Droits soc. Bardotti et Ghelfi

Sellers

Purchasers

Address

Funds sold

Ghelfi Laurent

Bardotti & Ghelfi

 fg. St-Antoine, 106

Rights company
Bardotti et Ghelfi

Link

It was “Laurent Ghelfi” who had worked in the company,
and that he sold his rights to “Bardotti“& “Ghelfi“,
Ghelfi” being “(Constantin) Ghelfi” (see further)
Laurent Ghelfi” went on working with “D. Giovannacci
(see further)


1886/ 1 January

Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ;
Archives commerciales de la France 1874-1955 Link)

“… Paris – Formation de la Société en nom collectif
Bardotti, Ghelfi et Cie (pierres et meules),
faub. St-Antoine, 106. – Durée: 3 ans du 1er janv. 1886 …
Cette nouvelle Société est chargée de la liquidation de la
Société entre MM. Bardotti et Ghelfi, et de celle
entre MM. Hélin et Malaspina, qui ont
pris fin le 1er janv. 1886 … “
“… Paris – Formation of the company
Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co” (grind- and sharpening stones),
faub St-Antoine, 106. – Duration: 3 years from
Jan. 1, 1886 … The new company is responsible
for the liquidation of the company between
Messrs. Bardotti and Ghelfi, and the one between
MM. Hélin and Malaspina, which ended on Jan. 1. 1886 … “

Link 


1886

 “Hélin” started in 1886 a new company, this after the dissolved
partnership between Messrs. “Bardotti and Ghelfi“, and the one
between MM. “Hélin and Malaspina“,
 which ended on Jan. 1. 1886

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Hélin et Cie, pierres à aiguiser, meules et grès.
Vente de confiance, passage d’Angoulême (d’Augoulême), 9.”
Hélin & Co, sharpening stones, sandstone grindstones.
Sale of confidence, passage d’Angoulême (or d’Augoulême), 9.”

Link1Link2

Malaspina” then worked with “Bardotti” and “Ghelfi” and
became Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co, “faub St-Antoine, 106
– Duration: 3 years

“Constantin Ghelfi“kept on working with “Bardotti & Co
(see further)

Also, in 1886, “Laurent Ghelfi” started working with
Giovannacci“,”rue Ste-Marguerite, 29“, after
the company of the “Giovannacci brothers” dissolved

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Giovannacci (D.) et L. Ghelfi, pierres à aiguiser,
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29.”
Giovannacci (D.) et L. Ghelfi, sharpening stones,
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29.”

Link

 “Giovannacci (D.)” most probably is:  Domenico GIOVANNACCI (See further)

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, pierres à aiguiser, meules en grès, Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti et Ghelfi, sharpening stones, sandstone grindstones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link


1888-1889

Both “Bardotti” and “Giovannacci” rented stores at
Rue-Saint Marguerite”.

27, Rue Saint Marguerite” (owned by widow “Fould”
(birth name “Simonin”)), was rented by “Bardotti“.
He had become a wine dealer, ……

29, Rue Saint Marguerite” (owned by “Pochet”) was
rented by “Giovannacci“, he also was a wine dealer, and
kept on selling sharpening stones, just like before.
(Along with “Laurent Ghelfi“)

They both had to leave their homes…

A judgment of 12 October 1888 / Decision of 14 February 1889,
required the expropriation (eminent domain) of:

“R. Ste-Marg. 27, 29,…”,

this for the expansion of the Rue Sainte-Marguerite;

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkBulletin municipal officiel de la Ville de Paris,1888/12/23,1889/2/18)

Noms des propriétaires

Noms des locataires

Rue Sainte-Marguerite, 27

Veuve FOULD (Gustave-Eugène),
née SIMONIN
(Valérie-Joséphine-Wilhelmine)

BARDOTTI, marchand de vins, …

Rue Sainte Marguerite, 29

POCHET
(Alexandre-Hector)

GIOVANNACCI, marchand de vins, marchant de pierres à aiguiser, …

Link1Link2


Around 1890

Because of this, around 1890, “D.Giovannacci & L. Ghelfi, moved
to “84, Faubourg St.-Antoine; their steam plant (factory) moved
 from rue Ste-Marguerite, 29 to r. de Charonne, 61

 (see further chapter “Ghelfi family”)


Some more information about “Giovannacci D.”

We know that “D. Giovannacci” was working with “Laurent Ghelfi” (1886,…)

On “geneanet.org” we find a Domenico GIOVANNACCI
(in French:Dominique GIOVANNACCI),
°1859, a “grindstone manufacturer”

He was married 1 April 1880, Mulazzo, Italy, to
Maria GENESONI (°1861). Later that year they moved to
Paris, where they had their domicile in the 11th district

On 7 March 1886, their first son was born,
Jean Baptiste Humbert GIOVANNACCI, Paris,  11th
district, this was witnessed by Laurent GHELFI (°1856)!
(or, from another geneanet page Laurent GHELFI (°1856))

Another link is Noël GIOVANNACCI (°1856, Mulazzo, Italy).

He as well moved to Paris. He married, 1879, 11th
district, Paris, to Angèle Marthe Catherine PAGANUZZI
This was witnessed by Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859)
Isidore CLANET

(Clanet: see chapter “Bardotti, Giovannacci” where in 1880
Giovannacci” bought funds of a hotel from “Clanet” at
29, Ste-Marguerite
)

Noël GIOVANNACCI & Angèle Marthe Catherine PAGANUZZI
had their domicile, 1879, at “29, rue Sainte Marguerite“, Paris,
11th district, the same adress were “D. Giovannacci” &
Laurent Ghelfi” had their company in 1886!

The birth of one of their sons, Victor Noël Henri GIOVANNACCI
(°19 March 1887, Paris 11th district, was witnessed
by Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859).

The birth of one of their daughters, Rose Angèle GIOVANNACCI
( Born 27 July 1883, Paris 11th district, was witnessed by
Laurent GHELFI (°1856)!

Because of al those links, especially
between Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859) &
Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859), I believe that
Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859) is actually
D. Giovannacci” of the company “Giovannacci (D.) & L. Ghelfi“,
sharpening stones, rue Ste-Marguerite, 29

Whether  Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859) was on of the
Giovanacci brothers, grinding wheels and sharpening stones,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29“, is not clear…


Information about “Bardotti” is more difficult to find

I only can highlight some striking links between the
Bardotti” 
families and others with the “Ghelfi” family
who traded in Paris.

From the very impressive family trees of
FERDINANDO MICHELONI (†before 1806),
LORENZO BARDOTTI,… we find:

(“geneanet.com”, see their “Descendancy Chart”,
just click on each name to open a direct link to the site)

Luigi MICHELONI,
(grandfather of the wife of Laurent GHELFI),
had a brother:

CARLO MICHELONI
(†before 1867, = uncle of father in law of Laurent GHELFI),
he was married to CATTERINA BARDOTTI

 One of the children of
CARLO MICHELONI & CATTERINA BARDOTTI was:

FRANCESCO MICHELONI
(°ca 1828, Mulazzo, MS, Italia – †1867, Fontanella, Lombardia, Italia)
(= nephew of the father in law of Laurent GHELFI)

He was a VENDITORE DI PIETRE (stone seller)

Another link to the Ghelfi family is
CLAUDINA MICHELONI(1874-1899)/
CLAUDIA MARIA CARMELLA MICHELONI (1871-1899)
(both are the same person)

She was one of the sisters of
the 2 wives of Laurent GHELFI

She also was the godmother of:
ALFREDO ARMANDO BARDOTTI (°23/1/1896).

Coincidentally or not, his great-grandfather was
ANDREA BARDOTTI (°ca1800).

I don’t know if he actually is the “Andrea Bardotti, Parana”
who went in 1837 to Piedmont, and later went to France
(see beginning of this article),

I believe it is not far from the truth though…

A bit unfortunate is that ANDREA BARDOTTI was born in
Castevoli, while “Andrea Bardotti of the beginning of the article
was born in Parana…
 (Parana, Castevoli, Monte Reggia,
Mulazzo are pretty close to each other though)

But, one of the grandchildren of ANDREA BARDOTTI was:
LUIGIA MARIA ROSA BARDOTTI,
°ca 1849, CASTEVOLI, she died, 1892, in Paris…!

She was married to ADEODATTO BARDOTTI
(°ca1834 – †after 1892)

His father was GIOVANNI ANDREA BARDOTTI, °1784, PARANA!

I believe it could very well be true that one of these two
“Andrea Bardotti’s” was in fact that person that once went to
France and not only was key in spreading the stone sale,

he also was pretty close to the Ghelfi’s as well…



⇐ Previous chapter: “Demosthènes, Malaspinas”
⇒ Next chapter: “L. Belle”

 

Chapter: “Demosthènes, Malaspinas”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


Chapter: “Demosthènes, Malaspinas,,..


1886/ 1 January

Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co”

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

” … Paris – Formation de la Société en nom collectif Bardotti, Ghelfi et Cie (pierres et meules), faub. St-Antoine, 106
Durée: 3 ans du 1er janv. 1886 … Cette nouvelle Société est chargée de la liquidation de la Société entre MM. Bardotti et Ghelfi, et de celle entre MM. Hélin et Malaspina,
qui ont pris fin le 1er janv. 1886 … “
“… Paris – Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie (grind- and sharpening stones),faub. St-Antoine, 106
Duration: 3 years from 1/1/1886 … The new company is
responsible for the liquidation of the company between Messrs. Bardotti and Ghelfi, and the one between
MM. Hélin and Malaspina, which ended on 1/1/1886 … “

Link


1889/ 18 April (Publication) / 1889/ 24 February (Act)

 Formation of “Ghelfi & Cie”
(Probably since 1 January 1889)

 (gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“… Paris – Formation de la Société … “Ghelfi et Cie”,
fab. de pierres en tous genres, faub. St-Antoine, 106.
– Durée: 6 ans … Acte du 24 Fév. 1889″
“… Paris – Formation of the company…”Ghelfi and Co.”,
fab. stones of all kinds, faub. St-Antoine, 106.
– Duration: 6 years … act of 24 February 1889″

Link


1890/ 10 Juin

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“Liquidation judiciaires”
Paris. – Demosthènes (Jean),
nég. en pierres et meules à aiguiser,
faub. St.-Antoine, 106,
sous le nom de “Demosthènes et Cie”…”
“Judicial liquidation”
Paris. – Demosthenes (Jean),
merchant stones and grindstones,
faub. St.-Antoine, 106,
under the name “Demosthenes et Cie” …”

Link


1890/ 6 September 

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“… jugement du 6 sept. 1890 rapportant le jugement du 10 juin précédent qui a admis Démosthènes au bénéfice de la liquidation judiciaire, et déclarant en état de faillite ouverte:
1e Ghelfi (Constantin); 2e Malaspinas (Léopold);
3e Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean), ayant fait en commun, sous la raison Ghelfi et Cie, puis sous celle de “Démosthènes et Cie”, le commerce de pierres et meules à aiguiser,
faub St.-Antoine, 106 …”
“… judgment of 6 September 1890 relating to the judgment of 10 June last year which admitted Démosthènes in favor of the liquidation, and declaring a state of open bankruptcy:
1st Ghelfi (Constantin); 2nd Malaspinas (Léopold);
3th Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean), first under the name “Ghelfi & Cie” , then under the name
“Démosthènes & Cie”, with business
“sharpening- and grindstones”, faub St.-Antoine, 106…”

Link

Conclusion:

 I believe it is very likely that “Malaspinas” worked with “Ghelfi”
from 1886 until 1890 (before 1886 he worked with 
MM. Hélin).

“Capriata Demosthènes Jean” on his turn worked for a short
time 
with Ghelfi since 1889 (maybe earlier) until 1890…

“Ghelfi (Constantin)”, “Malaspinas (Léopold)” and
“Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean)” first worked together
under the name “Ghelfi & Cie” (since 1889),
this company became “Démosthènes & Cie“.

Eventually they went bankrupt under the name
Démosthènes & Cie“, and not as “Ghelfi & Cie


1893

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Demosthènes & Cie”, success. des maisons:
“Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie”, et “Ghelfi et Cie”.
Manufactures de meules et pierres à aiguiser et articles à polir.

“Faub.-St-Antoine, 56 et 66”, usine à vapeur,
“passage du Chantier, 5″.”
Demosthènes & Cie“, successor of the firms:
Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie” and “Ghelfi & Cie“.
Manufactures of grind-, sharpening stones
and polishing articles.

Faub.-St-Antoine, 56 & 66, steam plant,
passage du Chantier, 5″.”

Link

Although it is clear that Demosthènes was the successor of
Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie” and “Ghelfi et Cie“, these names were
kept in use, as if they still existed on their own
(with the mentioning of: “see Demosthènes & Co”)

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti, Ghelfi & Co, passage du Chantier, 5
(Voir Demosthènes et Co)”
Bardotti, Ghelfi & Co, passage du Chantier, 5
(See Demosthènes & Co)”

Link

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Ghelfi & Co, passage du Chantier, 5 (Voir Demosthènes et Co)”
Ghelfi & Co, passage du Chantier, 5 (See Demosthènes & Co)”

Link


1893/ 3 August

“Capriata Demosthènes Jean”, “passage du Chantier, 5”
went bankrupt on 3/8/1893 under the name 

J. Demosthènes & Cie

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkJournal officiel de la République française 1881 Link)

 “Declaration de faillite”
“Capriata Demosthènes (Jean), marchand de pierres et
meules à aiguiser, “passage du Chantier, 5”,
faisant le commerce sous la raison
“J. Demosthènes et Cie”…”
 “Declaration of bankruptcy”
Capriata Demosthènes (Jean), stones and
grindstones merchant, “passage du Chantier, 5”,
was trading under the name “J. Demosthènes et Cie”…”

Link


1897

Demosthènes & Cie” started  a new company, still at
Faub.-St-Antoine, 66” (not anymore at “Faub.-St-Antoine, 56)

Most probably this happened just after the
bankruptcy, 3/8/1893, since all of Ferdinando GHELFI‘s
children were born at “Rue du Faubourg St. Antoine 56
between 5 Jan. 1894 and 1899, telling us that Ferdinando GHELFI
came to live here before 1894 (Also see chapter “Ghelfi family”)

The steam plant of “Demosthènes & Cie” moved from
passage du Chantier, 5” to passage du Chantier, 16

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti, Ghelfi et Co, “Demosthènes & Cie” (Quadri, succ.),
Manufactures de meules et pierres à aiguiser et articles à polir

Faub.-St-Antoine, 66, usine à vapeur, passage du Chantier, 16.
“Bardotti, Ghelfi et Co, “Demosthènes & Cie” (Quadri, succ.),
Manufactures of grindstones, sharpening stones and polishing articles

Faub.-St-Antoine, 66, steam plant, passage du Chantier, 16.

Link1Link2

Again, Demosthènes was the successor of “Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie
but the latter name was kept in use, probably for marketing
purposes; “Demosthènes & Cie” was written in bold
lettres, while “Bardotti, Ghelfi et Co” was written in
plain letters; a bit further on the same page we see:

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

Demosthènes & Cie”Faub.-St-Antoine,
66
, pass. du Chantier, 16.

Link

At the moment, I don’t have further information…



⇐ Previous chapter: “Birolleau family”
⇒ Next chapter: “Bardotti, Giovannacci”

 

Chapter: “Birolleau family”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


 Chapter: “Birolleau family”

The following is gathered from different sources:

  1. geneanet.org Link; “Jean Yves THIRIET” (jytbou) Link
  2. geneanet.org Link; Les Familles de Vacqueville” Link
  3. cimetieres-de-France.fr” Link:

(just click on each name to open a direct link to the site)

Victor BIROLEAUD
°22/12/1831 – †24/09/1914, wholesale wine merchant,
parents: Jean-Baptiste BIROLLEAU & Jeanne Agathe MOUNIER,
married 17/3/1862 Marguerite PRUNEAUD (°1841 – †1873).

One of their children was:

Antonin BIROLLEAU
°4/5/1863, Sainte-Feyre, 23193, FRANCE – †1938,
He lived in Bourg-du-Bost where he married
8/12/1894 Marie Louise THIRIET (°1869 – †1954);

They had 4 sons, born at Vacqueville, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Lorraine:

Jules BIROLLEAU
(°09/12/1895 – †?)

Emile BIROLLEAU
(°15/09/1897 – †?)

Louis BIROLLEAU
(°1899 – †1900)

Maurice BIROLLEAU
(°16/12/1904 – †1986)


1894

Antonin BIROLLEAU was administrator and master of the quarries of Merviller-Vacqueville. The sandstone quarry of Birolleau in Merviller (54) produced Baccarat crystal. The employers’ house was situated in Vacqueville (château Biroleau)


 1896/ 24 January or November

The following is gathered from different sources:

  1. genetk.overblog.comLes tailleurs de pierre” Link,
    Published 16 March 2013 by “Jean-Yves THIRIET
  2. merviller-autrefois.blogspot.be/
    Merviller-village de Lorraine
    ” Link1Link2
  3. geneanet.org /Jean Yves THIRIET” (jytbou) Link


A documented offer of 40.000 “French frank” for the maintenance
of roads tells us that “A. Birolleau”, residing at Vacqueville,
was exploiting 
sandstone quarries at muschelkack.

There are traces, after this date, leading to a factory/assembly of grinding stones “GHELFI & BIROLLEAU” at “7, rue Charlot, Paris”

Information is also found about a pink stone of the Vosges:

Following note is a citation found on

  1. merviller-autrefois.blogspot.be/Merviller-village de Lorraine
    Link1Link2
  2. genetk.overblog.comLes tailleurs de pierre” Link,
    Published 16 March 2013 by “Jean-Yves THIRIET”
“NOTA: J’ai été en relation avec un chercheur de “l’institut du globe de Strasbourg” qui m’a indiqué que la pierre rose des VOSGES c’est formé a l’époque désertique. C’est a dire ou la campagne lorraine ressemblait a l’actuel sahara, sable très fin qui sous l’influence de la chaleur et de l’oxyde de fer c’est
solidifié pour former une pierre au grain très fin fournissant de
remarquables meules à aiguiser les outillages expédiés par
wagons dans la France entière”
“NOTE: I have been in contact with a researcher from the “l’institut du globe de Strasbourg” who told me that the pink stone of the Vosges was formed in the “desert period”. That is to say, the “Lorraine area” resembled the current sahara; very fine sand, which under the influence of heat and iron oxide was
solidified to form a very fine grain stone providing
remarkable grinding-, sharpening tools, which were
shipped throughout France

Link


 1897

An anonymous company was in charge of the quarries Merviller-Vacqueville

(gallica.bnf.fr Link , Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature… Link)

“Meules en grès:”Société anonyme des carrieres de Merviller-Vacqueville”
Meules à aiguiser blanches et rouges de tous grains et de toutes dimensions.
Grès pour menuisiers. Barils pour corroyeurs. – Pierres à polir le marbre, etc., rue Ganneron, 6″
“Sandstone grinding wheels:
“Anonymous company of the quarries Merviller-Vacqueville”
Grindstones white and red all grains and sizes. – Stoneware for woodworkers.
Barrels for tanners. – Stone marble polishing, etc., Ganneron Street, 6″

Link


1904/ 9 August:

Birolleau (Antonin) became Knighted

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ,
Journal officiel de la République française…1904/08/09)

 “Birolleau (Antonin),
industriel à Vacqueville (Meurthe-et-Moselle):
travaux de reboisement; 20 ans de pratique agricole”
“Birolleau (Antonin),
industrialist at Vacqueville (Meurthe-et-Moselle):
reforestation; 20 years of agricultural practice”

Link


1911/ 16 July:

(http://www.kiosque-lorrain.fr Link, Est républicain 16-07-11)

“Vacqueville”
“INCENDIE. – Un incendie dont la cause est inconnue s’est déclaré vers une heure du matin, au hameau des Carrières, dans la fabrique de meules, appartenant à M. Antonin Birolleau. Le bâtiment, construit en planches, a été entièrement détruit, malgré les secours apportés par les pompiers de Vacqueville et Merviller. Les pertes, évaluées à 13.500 Fr.,
sont couvertes par l’assurance.”

“Vacqueville”
“FIRE. – A fire of unknown cause broke out around one o’clock in the neighbourhood of the quarries, in the factory of grinding stones, belonging to Mr. Antonin Birolleau. The building, built of planks, was completely destroyed, despite the aid given by firefighters of Vacqueville and Merviller. The losses, estimated at 13,500 F, are covered by insurance. “

Link


1912 – 1913

or earlier, as previous mentioned, we begin to see:

“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
(or F.G.B.C.)

for example on post cards which says:

“Manufacture & Montage
de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser et a Polir”
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
“7, Rue Charlot, Paris”

First in Rue Charlot 7,
later also in Rue de Saintonge, 47, Paris
(since 1922 or earlier).

The “maisons” or “houses / etablishments” of
“F.Ghelfi & cie” and “Birolleau” became united, this
between 1908-1912
since the previously mentioned court trial
only speaks of 
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”, without “Birolleau


1916/ 8 Mai
(private collection):

Around 1916 or earlier, the name changed:

“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
into
“Maisons Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”!

“Manufacture & Montage
de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser et a Polir”
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”
“7, Rue Charlot, Paris”


Usine à vapeur (steam plant)
: Merviller-Vacqueville
(Meurthe-et-moselle)

 Carrières en exploitation (quarries):

La Nouvelle, La Voûte, La Parisienne
(Gare Merviller – Vacqueville)

Neufmaisons, La Bouloye
(Gare Pexonne)

Bréménil- Bas, Bréménil-Haut, La Parisienne
(Gare Badonviller)

1916-f-ghelfi


1922/ 21 April
(private collection):

Around this time, the firm had an extra building,
located at “47, Rue de Saintonge”
(annexe, aside to “7, Rue Charlot”):

“Manufacture & Montage
de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser et a Polir”
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”

Ateliers, bureaux & magasins
“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”
(Annexe “7, Rue Charlot”)

1922-f-ghelfi


Later on we will see that “Birolleau” 
eventually
controlled and owned the entire company.
Maybe these name changes are a sign that at a quite
early stage 
Birolleau” became more and more
important in the company.
(Maybe between 1922 – 1925)


In the course of the years there were more changes,
seen on different documents:

1925/ 12 December
(private collection):

“F.Ghelfi & Cie & Birolleau réunies”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie” – “Anciens établissements”

1925 F.Ghelfi .jpeg

The names changed back again with “F.Ghelfi & Cie” standing first
(in comparison to the documents 1916, 1922 in the Ghelfi chapter).
I believe this could be a sign that “F.Ghelfi et cie” was taken over…

 The very explicit usage of the term “Anciens établissements”
or 
“ancient establishment” means that the formerly company,
consisting of 
the united companies “F.Ghelfi et cie”
and “Birolleau” had ceased to exist.

 On this paper of 1925, it isn’t clear who
owned the establishment…


1925-1938

It gets even more interesting, especially because in some directories of 1925, 1935 and 1938 only the name “Birolleau” is used, and not “F. Ghelfi & Cie“:

1925:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel;
Répertoire général de la production française Link
)
Link1Link2Link3


1935:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel;
Répertoire général de la production française Link
)
Link1Link2


1938:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel;
Répertoire général de la production française Link
)
Link1Link2Link3Link4

Birolleau sold sandstones, grinding- , sharpening stones,… at:

“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”

“Birolleau, 47, r. de Saintonge, Paris …”
“Usine à Merviller-Vacqueville”
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir…”


The fact that some directories of 1925 – 1938
only mention “Birolleau“, and not “F.Ghelfi & Cie“,
leads to the assumption that Birolleau was the owner

Ghelfi Valentin was noted in these directories, but like previous
explained, he separated himself from “F.Ghelfi & Cie

A bit confusingly, a directory of agricultural engineering, 1926, has NO mentioning of “Birolleau“, but does have one of “Ghelfi & cie“!

‪(https://books.google.be/books,
“Le Génie rural”,Volumes 19-20, 1926, Link)

“Ghelfi & Cie” (Anc. Etabl.), 47. r. Saintonge, Paris


When noticing the usage of (Anc. Etabl.) or
“Anciens établissements”, one can imagine that this is
in fact the company name, just as seen on the 1925 invoice
(with the “F.” missing though).

This could make sense, the other directories (1925-1938)
can therefore be interpreted as “Birolleau”, owner of
“Birolleau, 47, r. de Saintonge”, and maybe also owner
of “(F.) Ghelfi & cie” (ancien établissements)

The solely mentioning of “Ghelfi et cie” is also seen in
a yearly universal directory of the car industry, 1928-1929;

(https://books.google.be/books, “L’Annual”:
annuaire universel de l’industrie automobile, 1928-1929, Link)

“GHELFI et cie”, meules en grès,
“7, rue Charlot. et 47, rue de Saintonge, Paris”
“Tél. Archives 15-41”

1931/ 21 Mai
(private collection):

The next document shows the proof that around 1931 or earlier,
Birolleau owned the firm:

“Anciens établissements”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Birolleau Fils, propriétaires”

1931 F.Ghelfi 1.jpeg


“Birolleau FILS, propriétaireS” (sons, owners)
means that “Birolleau” owned the company.
It wasn’t Antonin BIROLLEAU
 who owned it
(the father who died a few years later, 1938), it were his sons
who controlled the business; that would be Maurice BIROLLEAU
(see further),
 and 1 or 2 of his brothers, being Jules BIROLLEAU
and/or
 Emile BIROLLEAU (not Louis BIROLLEAU,
since he died young, °1899 – †1900)

 A document of 1933 again refers to the ancient establishment,
by using old titles as:

“Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”, “F.Ghelfi & cie”
and
“Anciens établissements F.Ghelfi & Cie”

It also explicitly shows: “Birolleau, propriétaires” (=owners)

As previously mentioned,
the sons Birolleau were the ones in control


1933/ 30 October
(private collection):

“Manufacture & Montage
de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser et a Polir”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”
“Anciens établissements F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Birolleau, propriétaires”

“Ateliers, bureaux & magasins: 47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”
“(Annexe 7, Rue Charlot)”

1933 F.Ghelfi.jpeg


So, it could very well be that there was a transition of ownership 
between 1922-1925…

 If that is the case, it is interesting to see that the name
F.Ghelfi & Cie” continued to exist, even at the time
that it is absolutely clear that “
Birolleau” was the owner


1952/ 11Juin
(private collection):

Pierre “La Lune”
“F.G.B.C.”

“Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements”
(new society of ancient institutions)
“F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie”
“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”

“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir”

“Usines & CARRIERES”:

La Nouvelle, La Voûte, La Parisienne
(Gare Merviller – Vacqueville)

Neufmaison, La Bouloye
(Gare Pexonne)

Bréménil- Bas, Bréménil-Haut, La Parisienne
(Gare Badonviller)

 “pierres à faulx naturelles façon Lombarde La Lune”
(Natural scythe stones “style Lombarde” La Lune)

1952 F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie.jpeg

The correspondence was signed by
“Maurice Birolleau” 
(°1904 – †1986).
“Birolleau” kept owning the business,
the name F.Ghelfi stayed…


1968

A document/advertisement of 1968 is showing the name
“Birolleau”, 
standing separately above the trademark:

1968-schermafbeelding-birolleau


1985/ 12 Mai

 An envelope, stamped 1985/ 12 Mai shows that the name
F.Ghelfi” 
keeps on standing aside to “Birolleau“:

“Nouvelle société des anciens établissements”
“F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie”
“47, Rue de Saintonge – 75003 Paris”
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir”

Along with a nice phrase:

“les pierres X Y Z passent”
“les pierres “La Lune” repassent…”
“The stones X Y Z succeeds”
“The stones “La Lune” exceeds…”

Courtesy of Sebastian of “razorlovestones.com“:

1985-envelop-f-g-b-c-sebastian1985-envelop-f-g-b-c-2-sebastian-png


Around 2007,..

  1. http://french-leader.com Link
  2. http://french-corporate.com Link1Link2
  3. http://edecideur.mobi Link
  4. http://www.societe.com Link

By investigating these links we can see that: 

Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements
F. Ghelfi, Birolleau et Cie

or
Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements
F. Ghelfi, Birolleauet Cie
” ,

 established on 1957/ 28 December, continued to exist
as a “Société à responsabilité limitée” (S.A.R.L. =
Limited liability company), 
with headquarters address:

“5 rue de Douai, Paris”
(since 2007 or earlier)


 2011/ 23 July

Gachnochi Georges (°24/10/1940) was running the business

 Somewhere before 2007, the company changed their activities

It had become a wholesale business (trade from business to business) of various industrial supplies and equipment 

They supplied miscellaneous industrial equipment like: wholesale of aerodynamic devices such as fans, air conditioners, machinery and equipment for air conditioning; technical articles in rubber and plastic; other machinery and equipment used in industry; non-electrical equipment road signs; transport equipment other than motor vehicles, cycles and motorcycles; robots for assembly lines;…


2011/ 10 November

headquarters address moved to
156, rue de Tolbiac, 2nd floor right”


 2014/ 23 November

Gachnochi George became liquidator of the company,
he was appointed to wind up the affairs of the company…

 The last known establishment, known as

Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements F. Ghelfi,
Birolleau et Cie
” 

closed on 22-11-2014… 

The presence of “F.Ghelfi” is not totally disappeared yet,
as this boutique shows on:

“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”  

“ISABEL MARANT” Link
BOUTIQUES Link

Isabel Marant.png

Link



⇐ Previous chapter: “Ghelfi family”
⇒ Next chapter: “Demosthènes, Malaspinas”

 

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C.?(Introduction)

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:

Monument 2a.jpg
Monument of traveling sellers of books,
sharpening stones,… (Montereggio, Lunigiana)
(courtesy of Sebastian, razorlovestones.wordpress)

Introduction

Emigration from Lunigiana to France

At the beginning of the 19th century, many young, poor people of Montereggio and Parana, two small districts of Mulazzo, Lunigiana,
left their families to reach for places where there was a demand
for seasonal agricultural labor. For many years, Brescia in the spring
and Corsica in the fall were preferred places by people of Lunigiana.
In the winter they returned to their homes. However, the extra
demand for agricultural labor in Brescia was short-lived because
of the silk crisis in the 1830s’. Many were left without work
which forced them to find a new profession.

Sharpening stones were almost unknown in Lunigiana, so it seems strange that their choice fell on selling these as a new profession.

The reason was that sharpening stones were customary in Brescia,
where there was a large production of edged weapons and tools.

This is how the laborers of Lunigiana turned into stones
sellers, and began their wanderings, first in Lombardy,
then in Piedmont and finally to France.

In 1837, Andrea Bardotti of Parana went to Piedmont,
accompanied with a boy, “in order to teach him to sell”,
from Piedmont he went to France.

As another example, two men from Montereggio came to
France, in 1839 Giuseppe Maucci, a “razor stone” seller, and in
1840 Carlo Giovannacci, a seller of “stones” and other things.

In 1850, a statement of the mayor of Mulazzo
describes Giovan Battista Tarantola, from Montereggio,
as a “person of good conduct, without possessions,finding
pleasure to go into the world, selling razor stones and songs”

There are data from 23 November 1854 where a visa,
valid for three months, “to freely circulate in the Parmesan”
was given to Maucci Sante of Montereggio, by profession
“Farmer, dentist, seller of stones, even books.”

These and other examples make clear that many
families got involved in selling stones, books,…

Important families in the business were:
Fogola, Tarantola, Lorgna, Giovannacci, Lazzarelli,
Maucci, Genarelli, Ghelfi, Bardotti and Bertoni.

Records show that around the 1850-60s’, the emigrating
sellers from Lunigiana were more and more book sellers,
and less stone sellers.

In 1858 there were about 850 people in Montereggio and Parana,
71 of them were well around the world to sell books,
they also went further.

On 17 March 1859, Tarantola Francesco of Montereggio, seller of
stones and books, was given a visa for “definitely and freely pass”
to foreign Italy, France, Belgium and Switzerland.

The “Register of Emigrants of Mulazzo” in 1858 mention six
persons who only sold books; Bardotti Nicola, Ghelfi Giovanni,
Tarantola Francesco Antonio, Giovannacci Lazzaro,
Donnini Alessandro and Giovanni.

There also were 65 sellers of both stones & books of which there were 9 Ghelfi, 8 Lazzarelli, 6 Lorenzelli, 5 Giovannacci, 4 Maucci,
4 Tarantola, 2 Biasini, 2 Fogola, 2 Paolozzi, 2 Gatti and, one
of each of the families: Batilla, Bardotti, Biagini, Cattoni,
Capetta, Caniffi, Fedespina, Galleri, Giorgini, Lorgna, Mancini,
Macciardi, Marchetti, Micheloni, Michelotti, Pappini,
Rinfreschi, Tomasinelli, Torri, Zanarelli and Zappellini

On this list there was also a family Bertoni,
who were vendors of stones…

(ref.: I librai pontremolesi.
Storia esemplare di un mestiere meraviglioso di Gian Battista Martinelli, Prima edizione: novembre 2014 Link) 


Next chapters are a detailed chronology of persons and events,
associated with “F.G.B.C”
(for a really short one, please see the last chapter Emoji)



IMPORTANT:

Disclaimer:
All content and images used on this text are owned or have
been licensed to be used by Fikira and are
for use on these websites only.
http://www.razorlovestones.com
http://www.razorlovestones.wordpress.com
Fikira
Any duplication, processing, distribution or any form of utilisation beyond the scope of copyright law shall require the prior written consent of the author or authors in question.

All references are formulated as follows:
First, the webpage that provided the source, then the name of
the archive/book, each (when possible) with its according link.
Next, the quoted reference (framed), and finally a link to the
specific page of each reference. The URLs (http://) aren’t cited fully because of the length of some URLs, which would distract greatly. The URL of each link, also the ones attached to certain names in this article, can be seen by moving the pointer/mouse cursor onto the link/name; when waiting a second, the specific URL will pop-up.
The webpage can be opened, in a new tab, by clicking each link.
All links in this article are last consulted by me on 1 Dec. 2015.


⇒ Next chapter: “Ghelfi family”