Tag Archives: F. Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie. (F.G.B.C.)

Chapter:”Zanarelli, Galtié”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


Chapter: Zanarelli, Galtié

 1911/ 16 April

Valentin Ghelfi, son of “Constantino Ghelfi” bought a grindstone
factory, situated at “80, r. St-Maur., Paris, thereby leaving
7, r.Charlot” 
and creating two company’s that sold
grind- and sharpening stones

(gallica.bnf.fr Link,
Archives commerciales de la France 1874-1955 Link)

Sellers Purchasers Funds sold
Galtié Ghelfi Grindstones, 80, St.Maur.

Link

On a receipt of 1931 we see that “Galtié” worked
with a “Vve. Zanarelli” at “80, Rue St. Maur” &
74, Avenue de la Republique“, before
it was sold to “Valentin Ghelfi

“Vve. Valentin Ghelfi” Successeur Anciennes Maisons
“Vve. Zanarelli & J. Galtié”, et “Valentin Ghelfi”

So, who was Zanarelli and Galtié?

Sadly, at the moment, I can’t find anything more of “Galtié“,
I think though there are some things to be told about “Zanarelli

Most probably, the late husband of “Vve Zanarelli” was
Zanarelli François


1885

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres à aiguiser, Saint-Maur, 95
& rue Oberkampf 52”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones, Saint-Maur, 95
& rue Oberkampf 52”

Link1Link2


1886

Zanarelli, “rue Oberkampf, 52” disappeared

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres & meules à aiguiser,
Saint-Maur, 95”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones & grindstones,
Saint-Maur, 95”

Link1Link2

Although there is a mentioning of “Zanarelli (François)”,
“Saint-Maur, 93”,

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), “Saint-Maur, 93”

Link

I believe it to be a typo, because the following enumeration of
people living on each address doesn’t show “Zanarelli (François)”
at “Saint-Maur, 93”, only at “Saint-Maur, 95”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres & meules à aiguiser,
Saint-Maur, 95”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones & grindstones,
Saint-Maur, 95”

Link


1890, 7 Jan.

Zanarelli (François)” needed to move out…

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Expropriation pour cause d’utilite publique
ouverture de l’avenue république, section comprise entre
la rue oberkampf et la rue st-Maur.
·
Tableau de offers aux propriétaires et aux locataires à bail:
Rue Oberkampf, 74; rue Saint Maur 95-97 &
avenue Parmentier, 80
·
Zanarelli (François), marchand des meules”
“Expropriation for public utility
Opening of the Republic Avenue section between
oberkampf Street and St-Maur street.
·
Table offers to owners and leaseholders:
Rue Oberkampf, 74; rue Saint Maur 95-97 &
avenue Parmentier, 80
·
Zanarelli (François), merchant grindstones”

Link


1893

Zanarelli (François)” moved (most probably in 1890)
to “76, rue St-Maur
(which is very close to “80, rue St-Maur“!

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), meules à aiguiser, Saint-Maur, 76”
“Zanarelli (François), grindstones, Saint-Maur, 76”

Link1Link2

(on these documents, no businesses were held at
“80, rue St-Maur” → see Link2)


1896

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres à aiguiser, Saint-Maur, 76”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones, Saint-Maur, 76”

Link


1897

Zanarelli (François ), still at “76, r. St-Maur”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Zanarelli (François), pierres à aiguiser, Saint-Maur, 76”
“Zanarelli (François), sharpening stones, Saint-Maur, 76”

Link1Link2

(on these documents, no businesses were held at
“80, rue St-Maur” → see Link2)

Although it is not clear when “Zanarelli” moved to “80, rue St-Maur
and when he start working with “Galtié” (has to be between
1897-1911), for me it seems most probable though that this
Zanarelli François” is actually the one who worked with “Galtié“,
which was later succeeded by “Vve. Valentin Ghelfi
(Successeur Anciennes Maisons “Vve. Zanarelli & J. Galtié”,
et “Valentin Ghelfi”)


Another connection between “Zanarelli” and “Ghelfi” is DOMENICA CIPRIANA ZANARELLI (°1854), who was the wife of the nephew of CONSTANTINO GHELFI‘s wife

Or, put it another way, Constantino’s wife was MARIA ADELINA TARANTOLA (°1851), one of her nephews was CARLO TARANTOLA (°1849), who was married to
DOMENICA CIPRIANA ZANARELLI (°1854)

This doesn’t link “Zanarelli François” with the “Ghelfi’s” though…


What does link “Zanarelli François” with the “Ghelfi’s” is
the following wedding certificate:
“Nom: François Dominique Zanarelli
Adresse: r. Ste-Marguerite, 29
Filiation de Jean Zanarelli et Joséphine Gabrielli
Conjoint: Louise Ghelfi (Also written as Ghelli, Ghelfé)
Publication: 20 Juin, 1886
Arrondissement: 12”
“Name: François Dominique Zanarelli
Address: st. Ste-Marguerite, 29
Parentage: Jean Zanarelli and Joséphine Gabrielli
Spouse: Louise Ghelfi (Also written as Ghelli, Ghelfé)
Published: June 20, 1886
District: 12”

Link

So, in 1886, “Zanarelli Francois” lived at “Rue Marguerite 29
and married “Ghelfi Louise“, while Giovannacci (D.)
and “Laurent Ghelfi” worked together at
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29“, in the same year!
In these documents, there are only references of businesses
to be found, not private addresses, so it is normal that we
can’t find “Zanarelli Francois” in these documents, living
at “Rue Marguerite 29
A bit further in time, another wedding certificate of the sister of
Zanarelli Francois” reveals a little bit more:
“Nom: Zanarelli, Marie Rose
Adresse: r. Ste-Marguerite, 29
Filiation de Zanarelli, Jean et Gabrielli, Joséphine
Conjoint: de Obizzo,Malaspina Alexandre Léopold Joséph Marie
Publication: 26 Fevr., 1882
Arrondissement: 11”
“Name: Zanarelli, Marie Rose
Address: st. Ste-Marguerite, 29
Parentage: Zanarelli, Jean et Gabrielli, Joséphine
Spouse: de Obizzo, Malaspina Alexander Léopold Joséph Marie
Published: 26 Feb., 1882
District: 11”

Link

 “de Obizzo, Malaspina” lived at “rue Popincourt …3
I don’t know if it has anything to do with “Malaspina“,
who worked with “Ghelfi“…



⇐ Previous chapter: “L. Belle”
⇒ Next chapter: “Short detailed chronology” & “In conclusion”


 

Chapter:”Short detailed chronology” & “In conclusion”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


Lastly, a really short detailed chronology Emoji:

1845 “Maison Fondée en 1845”
1873 “Bardotti, Giovanace” (“Giovannacci”),
29, Rue Saint-Marguerite
1883-1885 Giovanacci brothers29, Rue Saint-Marguerite
1883-1885
 Bardotti & Ghelfi, “106, faub St-Antoine“,
(“Bardotti“, “Constantin & Laurent Ghelfi“)
1886 “Hélin & Malaspina
1886 Hélin et Cie“, “passage d’Angoulême (d’Augoulême), 9
1886 “Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie“, “106, faub St-Antoine
(“Bardotti“, “Constantin Ghelfi” & “Malaspina“)
1886-1889 Giovannacci (D.-Dominico)” & “Laurent Ghelfi“,
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29
1886-1889 “Montedonico, Ghelfi & Co“,
44 (54?), Great Sutton-street, London
(“Giovanni Baptista Ghelfi” & “Joseph Montedonico“)
1889/ 24 February “Ghelfi & Cie“, “106,faub. St.-Antoine
(Constantino Ghelfi“, “Malaspinas Léopold” &
Capriata-Démosthênes Jean“)
1890/ 10 Juin Judicial liquidation “Demosthenes et Cie
106,faub. St.-Antoine
1890/ 6 September “Constantino Ghelfi” went bankrupt together
with “Malaspinas Léopold” & “Capriata-Démosthênes Jean
106,faub. St.-Antoine
1890 “Laurent Ghelfi” & “Dominico Giovannacci” moved to
84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine“, their steam plant, moved from
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29” (see 1886) to “r. de Charonne, 61
1890 Demosthènes & Cie” (Capriata Demosthènes Jean),
Faub.-St-Antoine, 56 & 66, steam plant, “passage du Chantier, 5
1893 “J. Demosthènes & Cie“, bankrupt “5, passage du Chantier
1893 – 1897 “Demosthènes & Cie”, new company, still at
Faub.-St-Antoine, 66” (not anymore at “Faub.-St-Antoine, 56“),
steam plant moved to “passage du Chantier, 16
1894 “Fernand Ghelfi” 
moved to “Faub.-St-Antoine, 56
(living there)
1894 “Antonin BIROLLEAU“, administrator quarries
Merviller-Vacqueville
1896 “A. Birolleau“, exploiting sandstone quarries at “muschelkack”
1897
 Anonymous company” of the quarries “Merviller-Vacqueville
1897 “Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi” joined
⇒”Giovannacci D.” & L.&B. Ghelfi
⇒”84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine
1902/ 1 January “Ghelfi (L. & B.)” sold
84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine” to “Giovannacci
1902/ 31 December “D.Giovannacci” resold
84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine” to “Belle
1903 “Fernand Ghelfi” founded “F.Ghelfi & Cie” “7, rue Charlot
1908 “Belle” moved from 84, r. du Faub. St.-Antoine to
87, r. du Faub. St. Antoine
1908-1912 The “maisons” or “houses / etablishments” of
⇒”F.Ghelfi & cie” and “Birolleau” became united,
⇒”F.Ghelfi & Cie” “7, rue Charlot
⇒”Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies” ⇒ F.G.B.C.”
1911/ 16 April “Valentin Ghelfi“, son of “Constantino Ghelfi”
⇒”80, r. St-Maur.
1916 Belle“, successor of “D. Giovannacci and L.& B. Ghelfi
87, Faubg. St. Antoine
1922 “F.Ghelfi & Cie
⇒”Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies” ⇒ F.G.B.C.”
⇒”47,Rue de Saintonge“, aside to “7, Rue Charlot
1923 “Vve (= widow) Valentin (?)“, “80, r. St-Maur.
1923 Birolleau” bought the rights of the company “F. Ghelfi & Cie“,
47, Saintonge” 
from “Demuth
1931 “Birolleau” (sons) owns the firm:
F.Ghelfi & Cie” “Anciens établissements
⇒”Birolleau Fils, propriétaires
1935 Vve Valentin Ghelfi” became the owner of
établissements BELLE
“87, r. du Faub. St. Antoine”
1939 “Sir Laurent Ghelfi” went back to Italy (Pontremoli – MS)
1952 F.G.B.C. “Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements
⇒”F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie” “47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris
1957/ 28 December
⇒”Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements F. Ghelfi, Birolleau et Cie“,
“Société à responsabilité limitée” or S.A.R.L.
= “Limited liability company”
1985 “Nouvelle société des anciens établissements”
F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie” 47, Rue de Saintonge“⇒ F.G.B.C.
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir”
2007 “Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements F. Ghelfi, Birolleau et Cie“,
S.A.R.L. , wholesale supplier, “5 rue de Douai, Paris
2011   moved to “156, rue de Tolbiac” until 2014



In conclusion:

There were a couple of agricultural families originated from
Mulazzo, Lunigiani who, because of financial reasons, needed to
go into the world. 
They firstly became traveling sellers of
stones, books,… until settling down in, for example, Paris.
They kept on selling fantastic high quality grinding, sharpening
and honing stones, of which we still 
have the supreme
pleasure of using them!

 There is still loads of information to be gathered, for instance,
we know that “F.G.B.C.” distributed stones to other suppliers
as for example “Manufrance”.
 

Occasionally, there are stones to be found as the
“Special stone only for good razors”, together with a label of
“Manufrance Saint-Etienne”.

In catalogs of “Manufrance” there are also links to be found of the
“Special stone”, for example this “Special stone” / “Pierre spéciale”
with very fine grit. The stone has two sides, one for honing a
D.E. blade“, the other for “straight razors“:

 courtesy of “David M Rosenstein”; Catalog “Manufrance” 1961:

1961 Manufrance David M Rosenstein


The future will give us hopefully more information,
so that we can discover even more about its fascinating history…

 Written for and with the huge help of:
razorlovestones.wordpress.com Link“,
Fikira

 



⇐ Previous chapter: “Zanarelli, Galtié”

Chapter:”L. Belle”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


“L. Belle”

1902/ 1 January – 31 December 

As previous mentioned, “D.Giovannacci” became the owner
of the fund 
“84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine, Paris”on
1 January 1902, he
 resold it to Mr. Belle on 31 December 1902

(https://books.google.be/books;
Journal des tribunaux de commerce 1910)

“… Giovannacci became, as from 1 January 1902,
the only owner of the funds, he resold it December 311902
to Belle, the plaintiff in the current trial … “

Link

The building itself, not the fund, was still property of “Ghelfi”
We’ve established that “Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi”
must have been the owner


1908-1909

A residential building of 7 floors was constructed for Mr. Ghelfi at
84 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine (12e arr.)”

  1. “PARIS 1876-1939 : LES PERMIS DE CONSTRUIRE” Link
  2. lib.ugent.be “Le Béton armé” (p.31) Link
  3. archiwebture.citechaillot.fr Link
“84 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine” (12e arr.)
Owner: Ghelfi, “30, avenue Daumesnil”
Architect: Jacquemin, “30, avenue Daumesnil”
Construction 7 floors
1 May 1908

Link


 1909
(private collection)

 This receipt of 1909 shows that “Belle” moved in 1909
(or earlier), 
from “84, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine”
to “87, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine”

“Pierres et meules à aiguiser & à polir”
“L. Belle”
“87 Faubourg St.-Antoine”
“ci-devant 84, même rue”
PARIS
“Stones and grindstones & polishing”
“L. Belle”
“87 Faubourg St. Antoine”
“Heretofore 84, same street”
PARIS

1909-l-belle-1


Another receipt (which I can’t show…), dated 15 January 1909,
lets me think (because it is so early in the year 1909) that “Belle
most probably moved from “84, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine
to “87, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine” in 1908
(being more specific then 1908-1909)

→ So:
·
“Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi” owned the house,
84 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine“,
rebuild it to a residential building in 1908.
·
“Belle”, who owned the business at
84, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine
(used to be property of Ghelfi), needed to move
to “87, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine” in 1908.


1916/ 28 December

Next document makes very clear that “Belle” was the successor of
“D. Giovannacci” and “L. & B. Ghelfi”

courtesy of Sebastian of “razorlovestones.com“:

“Pierres et meules à aiguiser & à polir”
“D.Giovannacci, L.&B.Ghelfi”
“L.BELLE Succr.”

“Bureaux & Magasins”: 
“87, Faubg. St. Antoine”
“ci-devant: 84, Fg. St. Antoine”

“Maison Fondée en 1845”

Usines (factories):
“Paris, 61, Rue de Charonne”
“Bédarrides (Vaucluse)”
“Massa (Italie)”
“Succursale à Londres”

1916:12:28 L. Belle Sebastian 1.jpg

  • Regrettably, at this moment I haven’t found more information about “Maison fondée en 1845” (“House” founded in 1845)…
  • “Bédarrides (Vaucluse)” is situated in southeastern France,
    in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region.
  • Usine a vapeur: “61, Rue de Charonne, Paris”
  • They also had a section in “London”
  • When compared with the postcard from 1898/ 11 November, 

“D. Giovannacci, L. & B. Ghelfi”

Bureaux et Magasins: 
“84, Faubourg St.-Antoine, Paris”

Usine a vapeur: “61, Rue de Charonne, Paris”
Usine hydraulique, à Canevara, près Massa (Italie)
Succursales à Londres et New-York

 it is clear that “L.Belle” acquired a lot more from
“D. Giovannacci, L. & B. Ghelfi” 
than only the fund
at “84, Faubourg St.-Antoine, Paris”!

Also note the “usine” in Massa, Italy,
this is where the Ghelfi’s originally came from!


1925

(gallica.bnf.fr Link, Annuaire industriel.
Répertoire général de la production française Link
)
Link1Link2Link3

“Belle (L.), 87, fbg. St-Antoine, Paris”
“Pierres et Meules à aiguiser, à l’huile, en corindon,…”

1928-1929

(https://books.google.be; “L’Annual”:
annuaire universel de l’industrie automobile
)

“BELLE”,
fabrique de meules en grès, et de pierres à aiguiser et à polir,
“87, rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine, Paris

Link


1935

(gallica.bnf.fr Link, Annuaire industriel.
Répertoire général de la production française
 Link)
Link1Link2Link3

“Belle (L.)”,
“87, fbg. St-Antoine, Paris”
“Pierres et Meules à aiguiser, à l’huile, en corindon,…”

1935/ 22 August
(Private collection)

Vve Valentin Ghelfi became the owner of etablissements BELLE:

“Etablissements BELLE”
“Veuve Valentin Ghelfi, Propriétaire”
“Meules, pierres, outillage, produits a aiguiser et a polir”

“Ancienne maison”

“D.Giovannacci, L.&B.Ghelfi”
“Fondée en 1845”

“M.P.O.P.”

“87, Faubourg Saint-Antoine, Paris”
“Magasin de Meules & Usine”
“72, Rue Saint-Maur, Paris”

1935-l-belle-mpop-1

M.P.O.P. stands for:
Meules, Pierres, Outillage, Produits a aiguiser et a polir


1938

Although it is established that the widow of “Valentin Ghelfi”
acquired the business back from “Belle”
, there are documents
to be found until 1938 of 
“L. Belle”, selling grinding, sharpening
and polishing stones at 
87, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine“,
so apparently, 
the company kept on using the name “L.Belle

This could mean that “L. Belle” had established a good and
well know name, maybe “Valentin Ghelfi” possibly didn’t.

When noticing the usage of the ancient names
“D.Giovannacci, L.&B.Ghelfi”, it is clear that those names
still were very well known, the names kept on being used,
even by the third owner of the company!

(gallica.bnf.fr Link, Annuaire industriel.
Répertoire général de la production française
 Link)

“BELLE (L.), 87, fbg St-Antoine”
“Ateliers: “61, r. de Charonne”
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser”

Link1Link2Link3

 For the moment unfortunately, we don’t know more
of 
who exactly Mr. “L. Belle” was…



⇐ Previous chapter: “Bardotti, Giovannacci”
⇒ Next chapter: “Zanarelli, Galtié”

 

Chapter: “Bardotti, Giovannacci,…”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


Chapter: Bardotti, Giovannacci

It is very hard to discover and identify who were the
“Bardotti”, “Giovannacci”,… of the firm “F.G.B.C.”

At this moment I can only highlight possible relations
in different families, 
with striking resemblances and
connections with the Ghelfi family 
and the stone trade. 

We know from documents (gallica.bnf.fr Link) that
“Bardotti” and “
Giovanace” (“Giovannacci”?) sold
sharpening and grindstones at:

29, Rue-Saint Marguerite”

1873:

“Bardotti”, first worked with “Giovanace” (“Giovannacci”),
“Rue Saint-Marguerite, 29”

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAlmanach des 40,000 adresses des fabricants de ParisLink)

Pierres et meules à aiguiser (Grind- & sharpening stones):
Bardotti, Giovanace, “Rue Saint-Marguerite, 29”

Link


1880

Giovannacci bought funds of a hotel at “29, Ste-Marguerite”

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la FranceLink p. 367)

Vendeur Acquéreurs Demeures des acquéreurs Désignation des fonds vendus
Clanet Gio-
vannacci
Rue Ste.-Marguerite, 29 Fonds hôtel,
Rue Ste.-Marg., 29
Seller Acquirers Buyer’s residence Designation sold funds
Clanet Giovannacci Rue Ste.-Marguerite, 29 Funds hotel,
Rue Ste.-Marg., 29

Link


1883

“Bardotti & Ghelfi”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, meules en grès et pierres à aiguiser, Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti & Ghelfi, sandstone grind- and sharpening stones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link

Bardotti also had a hotel at “Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 27

“Giovanacci”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Giovanacci frères, meules et pierres à aiguiser,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29”
Giovanacci brothers, grinding wheels and sharpening stones,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29

Link

Giovanacci also sold wine and had a hotel at
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29


1884

“Bardotti & Ghelfi”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, meules en grès et pierres à aiguiser, Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti & Ghelfi, sandstone grind- and sharpening stones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link

This company was most probably owned by:
Bardotti“, “Laurent Ghelfi” & “Constantin Ghelfi” (see further)

Bardotti also sold wine and had a hotel at
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 27

“Giovanacci”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Giovanacci frères, meules et pierres à aiguiser,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29”
Giovanacci brothers, grinding wheels and sharpening stones,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29

Link1Link2

Giovanacci also sold wine and had a hotel at
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29


1885

“Bardotti & Ghelfi”
(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, meules en grès et pierres à aiguiser,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti & Ghelfi, sandstone grind- and sharpening stones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link1Link2Link3Link4

This company was owned by:
Bardotti“, “Laurent Ghelfi” & “Constantin Ghelfi” (see further)

“Bardotti”  also had a hotel at “Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 27

“Giovanacci”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Giovanacci frères, meules et pierres à aiguiser,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29”
Giovanacci brothers, grinding wheels and sharpening stones,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29

Link1Link2Link3Link4

Giovanacci also sold wine and had a hotel at
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29


1885, 28 Oktober

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Archives commerciales de la France,
Journal bi-hebdomadaire, paraissant le Mercredi et le Samedi Link)

Vendeurs

Acquéreurs

Domiciles

Fonds vendus

Ghelfi Laurent

Bardotti et Ghelfi

 fg. St-Antoine, 106

Droits soc. Bardotti et Ghelfi

Sellers

Purchasers

Address

Funds sold

Ghelfi Laurent

Bardotti & Ghelfi

 fg. St-Antoine, 106

Rights company
Bardotti et Ghelfi

Link

It was “Laurent Ghelfi” who had worked in the company,
and that he sold his rights to “Bardotti“& “Ghelfi“,
Ghelfi” being “(Constantin) Ghelfi” (see further)
Laurent Ghelfi” went on working with “D. Giovannacci
(see further)


1886/ 1 January

Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ;
Archives commerciales de la France 1874-1955 Link)

“… Paris – Formation de la Société en nom collectif
Bardotti, Ghelfi et Cie (pierres et meules),
faub. St-Antoine, 106. – Durée: 3 ans du 1er janv. 1886 …
Cette nouvelle Société est chargée de la liquidation de la
Société entre MM. Bardotti et Ghelfi, et de celle
entre MM. Hélin et Malaspina, qui ont
pris fin le 1er janv. 1886 … “
“… Paris – Formation of the company
Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co” (grind- and sharpening stones),
faub St-Antoine, 106. – Duration: 3 years from
Jan. 1, 1886 … The new company is responsible
for the liquidation of the company between
Messrs. Bardotti and Ghelfi, and the one between
MM. Hélin and Malaspina, which ended on Jan. 1. 1886 … “

Link 


1886

 “Hélin” started in 1886 a new company, this after the dissolved
partnership between Messrs. “Bardotti and Ghelfi“, and the one
between MM. “Hélin and Malaspina“,
 which ended on Jan. 1. 1886

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Hélin et Cie, pierres à aiguiser, meules et grès.
Vente de confiance, passage d’Angoulême (d’Augoulême), 9.”
Hélin & Co, sharpening stones, sandstone grindstones.
Sale of confidence, passage d’Angoulême (or d’Augoulême), 9.”

Link1Link2

Malaspina” then worked with “Bardotti” and “Ghelfi” and
became Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co, “faub St-Antoine, 106
– Duration: 3 years

“Constantin Ghelfi“kept on working with “Bardotti & Co
(see further)

Also, in 1886, “Laurent Ghelfi” started working with
Giovannacci“,”rue Ste-Marguerite, 29“, after
the company of the “Giovannacci brothers” dissolved

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Giovannacci (D.) et L. Ghelfi, pierres à aiguiser,
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29.”
Giovannacci (D.) et L. Ghelfi, sharpening stones,
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29.”

Link

 “Giovannacci (D.)” most probably is:  Domenico GIOVANNACCI (See further)

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, pierres à aiguiser, meules en grès, Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti et Ghelfi, sharpening stones, sandstone grindstones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link


1888-1889

Both “Bardotti” and “Giovannacci” rented stores at
Rue-Saint Marguerite”.

27, Rue Saint Marguerite” (owned by widow “Fould”
(birth name “Simonin”)), was rented by “Bardotti“.
He had become a wine dealer, ……

29, Rue Saint Marguerite” (owned by “Pochet”) was
rented by “Giovannacci“, he also was a wine dealer, and
kept on selling sharpening stones, just like before.
(Along with “Laurent Ghelfi“)

They both had to leave their homes…

A judgment of 12 October 1888 / Decision of 14 February 1889,
required the expropriation (eminent domain) of:

“R. Ste-Marg. 27, 29,…”,

this for the expansion of the Rue Sainte-Marguerite;

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkBulletin municipal officiel de la Ville de Paris,1888/12/23,1889/2/18)

Noms des propriétaires

Noms des locataires

Rue Sainte-Marguerite, 27

Veuve FOULD (Gustave-Eugène),
née SIMONIN
(Valérie-Joséphine-Wilhelmine)

BARDOTTI, marchand de vins, …

Rue Sainte Marguerite, 29

POCHET
(Alexandre-Hector)

GIOVANNACCI, marchand de vins, marchant de pierres à aiguiser, …

Link1Link2


Around 1890

Because of this, around 1890, “D.Giovannacci & L. Ghelfi, moved
to “84, Faubourg St.-Antoine; their steam plant (factory) moved
 from rue Ste-Marguerite, 29 to r. de Charonne, 61

 (see further chapter “Ghelfi family”)


Some more information about “Giovannacci D.”

We know that “D. Giovannacci” was working with “Laurent Ghelfi” (1886,…)

On “geneanet.org” we find a Domenico GIOVANNACCI
(in French:Dominique GIOVANNACCI),
°1859, a “grindstone manufacturer”

He was married 1 April 1880, Mulazzo, Italy, to
Maria GENESONI (°1861). Later that year they moved to
Paris, where they had their domicile in the 11th district

On 7 March 1886, their first son was born,
Jean Baptiste Humbert GIOVANNACCI, Paris,  11th
district, this was witnessed by Laurent GHELFI (°1856)!
(or, from another geneanet page Laurent GHELFI (°1856))

Another link is Noël GIOVANNACCI (°1856, Mulazzo, Italy).

He as well moved to Paris. He married, 1879, 11th
district, Paris, to Angèle Marthe Catherine PAGANUZZI
This was witnessed by Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859)
Isidore CLANET

(Clanet: see chapter “Bardotti, Giovannacci” where in 1880
Giovannacci” bought funds of a hotel from “Clanet” at
29, Ste-Marguerite
)

Noël GIOVANNACCI & Angèle Marthe Catherine PAGANUZZI
had their domicile, 1879, at “29, rue Sainte Marguerite“, Paris,
11th district, the same adress were “D. Giovannacci” &
Laurent Ghelfi” had their company in 1886!

The birth of one of their sons, Victor Noël Henri GIOVANNACCI
(°19 March 1887, Paris 11th district, was witnessed
by Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859).

The birth of one of their daughters, Rose Angèle GIOVANNACCI
( Born 27 July 1883, Paris 11th district, was witnessed by
Laurent GHELFI (°1856)!

Because of al those links, especially
between Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859) &
Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859), I believe that
Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859) is actually
D. Giovannacci” of the company “Giovannacci (D.) & L. Ghelfi“,
sharpening stones, rue Ste-Marguerite, 29

Whether  Domenico GIOVANNACCI (°1859) was on of the
Giovanacci brothers, grinding wheels and sharpening stones,
Ste-Marguerite-St-Antoine, 29“, is not clear…


Information about “Bardotti” is more difficult to find

I only can highlight some striking links between the
Bardotti” 
families and others with the “Ghelfi” family
who traded in Paris.

From the very impressive family trees of
FERDINANDO MICHELONI (†before 1806),
LORENZO BARDOTTI,… we find:

(“geneanet.com”, see their “Descendancy Chart”,
just click on each name to open a direct link to the site)

Luigi MICHELONI,
(grandfather of the wife of Laurent GHELFI),
had a brother:

CARLO MICHELONI
(†before 1867, = uncle of father in law of Laurent GHELFI),
he was married to CATTERINA BARDOTTI

 One of the children of
CARLO MICHELONI & CATTERINA BARDOTTI was:

FRANCESCO MICHELONI
(°ca 1828, Mulazzo, MS, Italia – †1867, Fontanella, Lombardia, Italia)
(= nephew of the father in law of Laurent GHELFI)

He was a VENDITORE DI PIETRE (stone seller)

Another link to the Ghelfi family is
CLAUDINA MICHELONI(1874-1899)/
CLAUDIA MARIA CARMELLA MICHELONI (1871-1899)
(both are the same person)

She was one of the sisters of
the 2 wives of Laurent GHELFI

She also was the godmother of:
ALFREDO ARMANDO BARDOTTI (°23/1/1896).

Coincidentally or not, his great-grandfather was
ANDREA BARDOTTI (°ca1800).

I don’t know if he actually is the “Andrea Bardotti, Parana”
who went in 1837 to Piedmont, and later went to France
(see beginning of this article),

I believe it is not far from the truth though…

A bit unfortunate is that ANDREA BARDOTTI was born in
Castevoli, while “Andrea Bardotti of the beginning of the article
was born in Parana…
 (Parana, Castevoli, Monte Reggia,
Mulazzo are pretty close to each other though)

But, one of the grandchildren of ANDREA BARDOTTI was:
LUIGIA MARIA ROSA BARDOTTI,
°ca 1849, CASTEVOLI, she died, 1892, in Paris…!

She was married to ADEODATTO BARDOTTI
(°ca1834 – †after 1892)

His father was GIOVANNI ANDREA BARDOTTI, °1784, PARANA!

I believe it could very well be true that one of these two
“Andrea Bardotti’s” was in fact that person that once went to
France and not only was key in spreading the stone sale,

he also was pretty close to the Ghelfi’s as well…



⇐ Previous chapter: “Demosthènes, Malaspinas”
⇒ Next chapter: “L. Belle”

 

Chapter: “Demosthènes, Malaspinas”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


Chapter: “Demosthènes, Malaspinas,,..


1886/ 1 January

Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co”

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

” … Paris – Formation de la Société en nom collectif Bardotti, Ghelfi et Cie (pierres et meules), faub. St-Antoine, 106
Durée: 3 ans du 1er janv. 1886 … Cette nouvelle Société est chargée de la liquidation de la Société entre MM. Bardotti et Ghelfi, et de celle entre MM. Hélin et Malaspina,
qui ont pris fin le 1er janv. 1886 … “
“… Paris – Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie (grind- and sharpening stones),faub. St-Antoine, 106
Duration: 3 years from 1/1/1886 … The new company is
responsible for the liquidation of the company between Messrs. Bardotti and Ghelfi, and the one between
MM. Hélin and Malaspina, which ended on 1/1/1886 … “

Link


1889/ 18 April (Publication) / 1889/ 24 February (Act)

 Formation of “Ghelfi & Cie”
(Probably since 1 January 1889)

 (gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“… Paris – Formation de la Société … “Ghelfi et Cie”,
fab. de pierres en tous genres, faub. St-Antoine, 106.
– Durée: 6 ans … Acte du 24 Fév. 1889″
“… Paris – Formation of the company…”Ghelfi and Co.”,
fab. stones of all kinds, faub. St-Antoine, 106.
– Duration: 6 years … act of 24 February 1889″

Link


1890/ 10 Juin

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“Liquidation judiciaires”
Paris. – Demosthènes (Jean),
nég. en pierres et meules à aiguiser,
faub. St.-Antoine, 106,
sous le nom de “Demosthènes et Cie”…”
“Judicial liquidation”
Paris. – Demosthenes (Jean),
merchant stones and grindstones,
faub. St.-Antoine, 106,
under the name “Demosthenes et Cie” …”

Link


1890/ 6 September 

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“… jugement du 6 sept. 1890 rapportant le jugement du 10 juin précédent qui a admis Démosthènes au bénéfice de la liquidation judiciaire, et déclarant en état de faillite ouverte:
1e Ghelfi (Constantin); 2e Malaspinas (Léopold);
3e Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean), ayant fait en commun, sous la raison Ghelfi et Cie, puis sous celle de “Démosthènes et Cie”, le commerce de pierres et meules à aiguiser,
faub St.-Antoine, 106 …”
“… judgment of 6 September 1890 relating to the judgment of 10 June last year which admitted Démosthènes in favor of the liquidation, and declaring a state of open bankruptcy:
1st Ghelfi (Constantin); 2nd Malaspinas (Léopold);
3th Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean), first under the name “Ghelfi & Cie” , then under the name
“Démosthènes & Cie”, with business
“sharpening- and grindstones”, faub St.-Antoine, 106…”

Link

Conclusion:

 I believe it is very likely that “Malaspinas” worked with “Ghelfi”
from 1886 until 1890 (before 1886 he worked with 
MM. Hélin).

“Capriata Demosthènes Jean” on his turn worked for a short
time 
with Ghelfi since 1889 (maybe earlier) until 1890…

“Ghelfi (Constantin)”, “Malaspinas (Léopold)” and
“Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean)” first worked together
under the name “Ghelfi & Cie” (since 1889),
this company became “Démosthènes & Cie“.

Eventually they went bankrupt under the name
Démosthènes & Cie“, and not as “Ghelfi & Cie


1893

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Demosthènes & Cie”, success. des maisons:
“Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie”, et “Ghelfi et Cie”.
Manufactures de meules et pierres à aiguiser et articles à polir.

“Faub.-St-Antoine, 56 et 66”, usine à vapeur,
“passage du Chantier, 5″.”
Demosthènes & Cie“, successor of the firms:
Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie” and “Ghelfi & Cie“.
Manufactures of grind-, sharpening stones
and polishing articles.

Faub.-St-Antoine, 56 & 66, steam plant,
passage du Chantier, 5″.”

Link

Although it is clear that Demosthènes was the successor of
Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie” and “Ghelfi et Cie“, these names were
kept in use, as if they still existed on their own
(with the mentioning of: “see Demosthènes & Co”)

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti, Ghelfi & Co, passage du Chantier, 5
(Voir Demosthènes et Co)”
Bardotti, Ghelfi & Co, passage du Chantier, 5
(See Demosthènes & Co)”

Link

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Ghelfi & Co, passage du Chantier, 5 (Voir Demosthènes et Co)”
Ghelfi & Co, passage du Chantier, 5 (See Demosthènes & Co)”

Link


1893/ 3 August

“Capriata Demosthènes Jean”, “passage du Chantier, 5”
went bankrupt on 3/8/1893 under the name 

J. Demosthènes & Cie

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkJournal officiel de la République française 1881 Link)

 “Declaration de faillite”
“Capriata Demosthènes (Jean), marchand de pierres et
meules à aiguiser, “passage du Chantier, 5”,
faisant le commerce sous la raison
“J. Demosthènes et Cie”…”
 “Declaration of bankruptcy”
Capriata Demosthènes (Jean), stones and
grindstones merchant, “passage du Chantier, 5”,
was trading under the name “J. Demosthènes et Cie”…”

Link


1897

Demosthènes & Cie” started  a new company, still at
Faub.-St-Antoine, 66” (not anymore at “Faub.-St-Antoine, 56)

Most probably this happened just after the
bankruptcy, 3/8/1893, since all of Ferdinando GHELFI‘s
children were born at “Rue du Faubourg St. Antoine 56
between 5 Jan. 1894 and 1899, telling us that Ferdinando GHELFI
came to live here before 1894 (Also see chapter “Ghelfi family”)

The steam plant of “Demosthènes & Cie” moved from
passage du Chantier, 5” to passage du Chantier, 16

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti, Ghelfi et Co, “Demosthènes & Cie” (Quadri, succ.),
Manufactures de meules et pierres à aiguiser et articles à polir

Faub.-St-Antoine, 66, usine à vapeur, passage du Chantier, 16.
“Bardotti, Ghelfi et Co, “Demosthènes & Cie” (Quadri, succ.),
Manufactures of grindstones, sharpening stones and polishing articles

Faub.-St-Antoine, 66, steam plant, passage du Chantier, 16.

Link1Link2

Again, Demosthènes was the successor of “Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie
but the latter name was kept in use, probably for marketing
purposes; “Demosthènes & Cie” was written in bold
lettres, while “Bardotti, Ghelfi et Co” was written in
plain letters; a bit further on the same page we see:

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

Demosthènes & Cie”Faub.-St-Antoine,
66
, pass. du Chantier, 16.

Link

At the moment, I don’t have further information…



⇐ Previous chapter: “Birolleau family”
⇒ Next chapter: “Bardotti, Giovannacci”

 

Chapter: “Birolleau family”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


 Chapter: “Birolleau family”

The following is gathered from different sources:

  1. geneanet.org Link; “Jean Yves THIRIET” (jytbou) Link
  2. geneanet.org Link; Les Familles de Vacqueville” Link
  3. cimetieres-de-France.fr” Link:

(just click on each name to open a direct link to the site)

Victor BIROLEAUD
°22/12/1831 – †24/09/1914, wholesale wine merchant,
parents: Jean-Baptiste BIROLLEAU & Jeanne Agathe MOUNIER,
married 17/3/1862 Marguerite PRUNEAUD (°1841 – †1873).

One of their children was:

Antonin BIROLLEAU
°4/5/1863, Sainte-Feyre, 23193, FRANCE – †1938,
He lived in Bourg-du-Bost where he married
8/12/1894 Marie Louise THIRIET (°1869 – †1954);

They had 4 sons, born at Vacqueville, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Lorraine:

Jules BIROLLEAU
(°09/12/1895 – †?)

Emile BIROLLEAU
(°15/09/1897 – †?)

Louis BIROLLEAU
(°1899 – †1900)

Maurice BIROLLEAU
(°16/12/1904 – †1986)


1894

Antonin BIROLLEAU was administrator and master of the quarries of Merviller-Vacqueville. The sandstone quarry of Birolleau in Merviller (54) produced Baccarat crystal. The employers’ house was situated in Vacqueville (château Biroleau)


 1896/ 24 January or November

The following is gathered from different sources:

  1. genetk.overblog.comLes tailleurs de pierre” Link,
    Published 16 March 2013 by “Jean-Yves THIRIET
  2. merviller-autrefois.blogspot.be/
    Merviller-village de Lorraine
    ” Link1Link2
  3. geneanet.org /Jean Yves THIRIET” (jytbou) Link


A documented offer of 40.000 “French frank” for the maintenance
of roads tells us that “A. Birolleau”, residing at Vacqueville,
was exploiting 
sandstone quarries at muschelkack.

There are traces, after this date, leading to a factory/assembly of grinding stones “GHELFI & BIROLLEAU” at “7, rue Charlot, Paris”

Information is also found about a pink stone of the Vosges:

Following note is a citation found on

  1. merviller-autrefois.blogspot.be/Merviller-village de Lorraine
    Link1Link2
  2. genetk.overblog.comLes tailleurs de pierre” Link,
    Published 16 March 2013 by “Jean-Yves THIRIET”
“NOTA: J’ai été en relation avec un chercheur de “l’institut du globe de Strasbourg” qui m’a indiqué que la pierre rose des VOSGES c’est formé a l’époque désertique. C’est a dire ou la campagne lorraine ressemblait a l’actuel sahara, sable très fin qui sous l’influence de la chaleur et de l’oxyde de fer c’est
solidifié pour former une pierre au grain très fin fournissant de
remarquables meules à aiguiser les outillages expédiés par
wagons dans la France entière”
“NOTE: I have been in contact with a researcher from the “l’institut du globe de Strasbourg” who told me that the pink stone of the Vosges was formed in the “desert period”. That is to say, the “Lorraine area” resembled the current sahara; very fine sand, which under the influence of heat and iron oxide was
solidified to form a very fine grain stone providing
remarkable grinding-, sharpening tools, which were
shipped throughout France

Link


 1897

An anonymous company was in charge of the quarries Merviller-Vacqueville

(gallica.bnf.fr Link , Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature… Link)

“Meules en grès:”Société anonyme des carrieres de Merviller-Vacqueville”
Meules à aiguiser blanches et rouges de tous grains et de toutes dimensions.
Grès pour menuisiers. Barils pour corroyeurs. – Pierres à polir le marbre, etc., rue Ganneron, 6″
“Sandstone grinding wheels:
“Anonymous company of the quarries Merviller-Vacqueville”
Grindstones white and red all grains and sizes. – Stoneware for woodworkers.
Barrels for tanners. – Stone marble polishing, etc., Ganneron Street, 6″

Link


1904/ 9 August:

Birolleau (Antonin) became Knighted

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ,
Journal officiel de la République française…1904/08/09)

 “Birolleau (Antonin),
industriel à Vacqueville (Meurthe-et-Moselle):
travaux de reboisement; 20 ans de pratique agricole”
“Birolleau (Antonin),
industrialist at Vacqueville (Meurthe-et-Moselle):
reforestation; 20 years of agricultural practice”

Link


1911/ 16 July:

(http://www.kiosque-lorrain.fr Link, Est républicain 16-07-11)

“Vacqueville”
“INCENDIE. – Un incendie dont la cause est inconnue s’est déclaré vers une heure du matin, au hameau des Carrières, dans la fabrique de meules, appartenant à M. Antonin Birolleau. Le bâtiment, construit en planches, a été entièrement détruit, malgré les secours apportés par les pompiers de Vacqueville et Merviller. Les pertes, évaluées à 13.500 Fr.,
sont couvertes par l’assurance.”

“Vacqueville”
“FIRE. – A fire of unknown cause broke out around one o’clock in the neighbourhood of the quarries, in the factory of grinding stones, belonging to Mr. Antonin Birolleau. The building, built of planks, was completely destroyed, despite the aid given by firefighters of Vacqueville and Merviller. The losses, estimated at 13,500 F, are covered by insurance. “

Link


1912 – 1913

or earlier, as previous mentioned, we begin to see:

“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
(or F.G.B.C.)

for example on post cards which says:

“Manufacture & Montage
de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser et a Polir”
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
“7, Rue Charlot, Paris”

First in Rue Charlot 7,
later also in Rue de Saintonge, 47, Paris
(since 1922 or earlier).

The “maisons” or “houses / etablishments” of
“F.Ghelfi & cie” and “Birolleau” became united, this
between 1908-1912
since the previously mentioned court trial
only speaks of 
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”, without “Birolleau


1916/ 8 Mai
(private collection):

Around 1916 or earlier, the name changed:

“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
into
“Maisons Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”!

“Manufacture & Montage
de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser et a Polir”
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”
“7, Rue Charlot, Paris”


Usine à vapeur (steam plant)
: Merviller-Vacqueville
(Meurthe-et-moselle)

 Carrières en exploitation (quarries):

La Nouvelle, La Voûte, La Parisienne
(Gare Merviller – Vacqueville)

Neufmaisons, La Bouloye
(Gare Pexonne)

Bréménil- Bas, Bréménil-Haut, La Parisienne
(Gare Badonviller)

1916-f-ghelfi


1922/ 21 April
(private collection):

Around this time, the firm had an extra building,
located at “47, Rue de Saintonge”
(annexe, aside to “7, Rue Charlot”):

“Manufacture & Montage
de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser et a Polir”
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”

Ateliers, bureaux & magasins
“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”
(Annexe “7, Rue Charlot”)

1922-f-ghelfi


Later on we will see that “Birolleau” 
eventually
controlled and owned the entire company.
Maybe these name changes are a sign that at a quite
early stage 
Birolleau” became more and more
important in the company.
(Maybe between 1922 – 1925)


In the course of the years there were more changes,
seen on different documents:

1925/ 12 December
(private collection):

“F.Ghelfi & Cie & Birolleau réunies”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie” – “Anciens établissements”

1925 F.Ghelfi .jpeg

The names changed back again with “F.Ghelfi & Cie” standing first
(in comparison to the documents 1916, 1922 in the Ghelfi chapter).
I believe this could be a sign that “F.Ghelfi et cie” was taken over…

 The very explicit usage of the term “Anciens établissements”
or 
“ancient establishment” means that the formerly company,
consisting of 
the united companies “F.Ghelfi et cie”
and “Birolleau” had ceased to exist.

 On this paper of 1925, it isn’t clear who
owned the establishment…


1925-1938

It gets even more interesting, especially because in some directories of 1925, 1935 and 1938 only the name “Birolleau” is used, and not “F. Ghelfi & Cie“:

1925:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel;
Répertoire général de la production française Link
)
Link1Link2Link3


1935:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel;
Répertoire général de la production française Link
)
Link1Link2


1938:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel;
Répertoire général de la production française Link
)
Link1Link2Link3Link4

Birolleau sold sandstones, grinding- , sharpening stones,… at:

“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”

“Birolleau, 47, r. de Saintonge, Paris …”
“Usine à Merviller-Vacqueville”
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir…”


The fact that some directories of 1925 – 1938
only mention “Birolleau“, and not “F.Ghelfi & Cie“,
leads to the assumption that Birolleau was the owner

Ghelfi Valentin was noted in these directories, but like previous
explained, he separated himself from “F.Ghelfi & Cie

A bit confusingly, a directory of agricultural engineering, 1926, has NO mentioning of “Birolleau“, but does have one of “Ghelfi & cie“!

‪(https://books.google.be/books,
“Le Génie rural”,Volumes 19-20, 1926, Link)

“Ghelfi & Cie” (Anc. Etabl.), 47. r. Saintonge, Paris


When noticing the usage of (Anc. Etabl.) or
“Anciens établissements”, one can imagine that this is
in fact the company name, just as seen on the 1925 invoice
(with the “F.” missing though).

This could make sense, the other directories (1925-1938)
can therefore be interpreted as “Birolleau”, owner of
“Birolleau, 47, r. de Saintonge”, and maybe also owner
of “(F.) Ghelfi & cie” (ancien établissements)

The solely mentioning of “Ghelfi et cie” is also seen in
a yearly universal directory of the car industry, 1928-1929;

(https://books.google.be/books, “L’Annual”:
annuaire universel de l’industrie automobile, 1928-1929, Link)

“GHELFI et cie”, meules en grès,
“7, rue Charlot. et 47, rue de Saintonge, Paris”
“Tél. Archives 15-41”

1931/ 21 Mai
(private collection):

The next document shows the proof that around 1931 or earlier,
Birolleau owned the firm:

“Anciens établissements”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Birolleau Fils, propriétaires”

1931 F.Ghelfi 1.jpeg


“Birolleau FILS, propriétaireS” (sons, owners)
means that “Birolleau” owned the company.
It wasn’t Antonin BIROLLEAU
 who owned it
(the father who died a few years later, 1938), it were his sons
who controlled the business; that would be Maurice BIROLLEAU
(see further),
 and 1 or 2 of his brothers, being Jules BIROLLEAU
and/or
 Emile BIROLLEAU (not Louis BIROLLEAU,
since he died young, °1899 – †1900)

 A document of 1933 again refers to the ancient establishment,
by using old titles as:

“Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”, “F.Ghelfi & cie”
and
“Anciens établissements F.Ghelfi & Cie”

It also explicitly shows: “Birolleau, propriétaires” (=owners)

As previously mentioned,
the sons Birolleau were the ones in control


1933/ 30 October
(private collection):

“Manufacture & Montage
de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser et a Polir”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”
“Anciens établissements F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Birolleau, propriétaires”

“Ateliers, bureaux & magasins: 47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”
“(Annexe 7, Rue Charlot)”

1933 F.Ghelfi.jpeg


So, it could very well be that there was a transition of ownership 
between 1922-1925…

 If that is the case, it is interesting to see that the name
F.Ghelfi & Cie” continued to exist, even at the time
that it is absolutely clear that “
Birolleau” was the owner


1952/ 11Juin
(private collection):

Pierre “La Lune”
“F.G.B.C.”

“Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements”
(new society of ancient institutions)
“F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie”
“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”

“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir”

“Usines & CARRIERES”:

La Nouvelle, La Voûte, La Parisienne
(Gare Merviller – Vacqueville)

Neufmaison, La Bouloye
(Gare Pexonne)

Bréménil- Bas, Bréménil-Haut, La Parisienne
(Gare Badonviller)

 “pierres à faulx naturelles façon Lombarde La Lune”
(Natural scythe stones “style Lombarde” La Lune)

1952 F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie.jpeg

The correspondence was signed by
“Maurice Birolleau” 
(°1904 – †1986).
“Birolleau” kept owning the business,
the name F.Ghelfi stayed…


1968

A document/advertisement of 1968 is showing the name
“Birolleau”, 
standing separately above the trademark:

1968-schermafbeelding-birolleau


1985/ 12 Mai

 An envelope, stamped 1985/ 12 Mai shows that the name
F.Ghelfi” 
keeps on standing aside to “Birolleau“:

“Nouvelle société des anciens établissements”
“F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie”
“47, Rue de Saintonge – 75003 Paris”
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir”

Along with a nice phrase:

“les pierres X Y Z passent”
“les pierres “La Lune” repassent…”
“The stones X Y Z succeeds”
“The stones “La Lune” exceeds…”

Courtesy of Sebastian of “razorlovestones.com“:

1985-envelop-f-g-b-c-sebastian1985-envelop-f-g-b-c-2-sebastian-png


Around 2007,..

  1. http://french-leader.com Link
  2. http://french-corporate.com Link1Link2
  3. http://edecideur.mobi Link
  4. http://www.societe.com Link

By investigating these links we can see that: 

Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements
F. Ghelfi, Birolleau et Cie

or
Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements
F. Ghelfi, Birolleauet Cie
” ,

 established on 1957/ 28 December, continued to exist
as a “Société à responsabilité limitée” (S.A.R.L. =
Limited liability company), 
with headquarters address:

“5 rue de Douai, Paris”
(since 2007 or earlier)


 2011/ 23 July

Gachnochi Georges (°24/10/1940) was running the business

 Somewhere before 2007, the company changed their activities

It had become a wholesale business (trade from business to business) of various industrial supplies and equipment 

They supplied miscellaneous industrial equipment like: wholesale of aerodynamic devices such as fans, air conditioners, machinery and equipment for air conditioning; technical articles in rubber and plastic; other machinery and equipment used in industry; non-electrical equipment road signs; transport equipment other than motor vehicles, cycles and motorcycles; robots for assembly lines;…


2011/ 10 November

headquarters address moved to
156, rue de Tolbiac, 2nd floor right”


 2014/ 23 November

Gachnochi George became liquidator of the company,
he was appointed to wind up the affairs of the company…

 The last known establishment, known as

Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements F. Ghelfi,
Birolleau et Cie
” 

closed on 22-11-2014… 

The presence of “F.Ghelfi” is not totally disappeared yet,
as this boutique shows on:

“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”  

“ISABEL MARANT” Link
BOUTIQUES Link

Isabel Marant.png

Link



⇐ Previous chapter: “Ghelfi family”
⇒ Next chapter: “Demosthènes, Malaspinas”

 

Chapter: “Ghelfi family”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C…?

(written by  Jethro aka Fikirahistoryrazors.wordpress.com)

F.G.B.C.” produced & sold many sharpening stones, for example:
“pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”,
“New Master Stone”, … This article (split up into different chapters)
reveals the history behind the company


Chapters:


Chapter: “Ghelfi family”

(I haven’t gone into detail with some names in the family trees, because the setup of this article is only to highlight connections with F.G.B.C.)

From different available documents, advertisements, and websites
 (razorlovestones.wordpress.com Linkgallica.bnf.fr Link)
we know that the Ghelfi family sold stones on
Rue du Faubourg 106, Paris“.

Investigating the geneanet.org Link website
reveals the following family tree:

(click on each name to open a direct link to the site)
(MS = is a province in Tuscany, Italy; the Province of
Massa and Carrara, until 2009 it was named:
Province of Massa-Carrara)

Serafino GHELFI was married to Rosa MAUCCI

Their children were:

Costantino GHELFI, Laurent GHELFI,
Carlo GHELFI Ferdinando GHELFI


Costantino GHELFI (Probably = Constantino)
(°19/7/1850, Mulazzo ( MS ) – †?)

married Maria Adele TARANTOLA (°ca1863 – †?)

children:

Paul Diedonné GHELFI
(°15/7/1882, Paris, Rue du Faubourg St. Antoine 106 – †?)

married 1/3/1909
Marthe Flore Henriette CREPIN
(°9/7/1870 – †19/2/1946)

Valentine Victorine GHELFI
(°19/2/1890, Paris, R. du Fbg St. Antoine 106 – †1970)

Baptiste August Seraphin GHELFI
(°30/8/1892, Paris, R. du Fbg St. Antoine 56 – †1950)

first marriage 8/10/1928
with Lisa MICHEL

second marriage 31/10/1932
with Renée Eugenié Solange COLOMBEL


Laurent GHELFI
(°12/7/1856, Teglia fraz. di Mulazzo (MS) – †?)
(Commerciante di pietre, = Merchant of stones)

1st marriage
with Aurelia Maria Adele MICHELONI
(°1861 (MS) – †1890, Paris, Rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine 99)
⇒ she died at the place were some of the children of
Laurent GHELFI‘s 1st & 2nd marriage were born

2nd marriage 21/8/1893
with Diomira Anna Pia MICHELONI
(°1864 – †1968)
⇒ she was a sister of the first wife of Laurent,
she also will be mentioned further in this article


Ferdinando GHELFI
(°21/4/1868, Mulazzo (MS) – †?)

married Letizia BESTAZZONI (°ca1873 – †?)

children:

Theodore Laurent Joseph GHELFI (°5/1/1894 – †?)
Palmyre Marie Victorine GHELFI (°17/3/1895 – †20/7/1982)
Ernest Baptist Camille GHELFI (°19/1/1899 – †?)

All were born in Paris, Rue du Faubourg St. Antoine 56



It is clear that the persons of this family were the ones that
were behind F.G.B.C., 2 children of Constantino Ghelfi
were born (1882 & 1890) on the 
same address where
their stone selling company was at that time;

1886/ 1 January

Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link Archives commerciales de la France Link)

” … Paris – Formation de la Société en nom collectif Bardotti, Ghelfi et Cie (pierres et meules), faub. St-Antoine, 106
Durée: 3 ans du 1er janv. 1886 … Cette nouvelle Société est chargée de la liquidation de la Société entre MM. Bardotti et Ghelfi, et de celle entre MM. Hélin et Malaspina,
qui ont pris fin le 1er janv. 1886 … “
“… Paris – Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie (grind- and sharpening stones),faub. St-Antoine, 106
Duration: 3 years from 1/1/1886 … The new company is
responsible for the liquidation of the company between Messrs. Bardotti and Ghelfi, and the one between
MM. Hélin and Malaspina, which ended on 1/1/1886 … “

Link

1889/ 24 February 

Formation of the company “Ghelfi & Cie”

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“Paris – Formation de la Société … “Ghelfi et Cie”,
fab. de pierres … , faub. St-Antoine, 106. – Durée: 6 ans”
“Paris – Formation of the company…”Ghelfi and Co.”,
fab. stones …, faub. St-Antoine, 106. 
– Duration: 6 years”

Link

1890/ 6 September

Constantino Ghelfi had sold grinding- and sharpening stones,
together with
Malaspinas Léopold & Capriata-Démosthênes Jean,
they went bankrupt

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“déclarant en état de faillite ouverte: 1e Ghelfi (Constantin);
2e Malaspinas (Léopold); 3e Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean)
… le commerce de pierres et meules à aiguiser,
faub St.-Antoine, 106 …”
“declaring a state of open bankruptcy: 1st Ghelfi (Constantin);
2nd Malaspinas (Léopold); 3th Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean)
… the business sharpening- and grindstones,
faub St.-Antoine, 106 …”

Link

(more information: chapter Capriata-Demosthènes)



There are things though that aren’t easy to be explained,
especially the death of Constantino and who his children were…

In the document,
recensement auxi le chateau 1911,
(archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/ Link)
we find:

Paul Dieudonné Ghelfi,

Who was “Chef” of the family (°14/7/1882), “Rue d’Amiens No. 7”,
lived there with his wife, Marthe “Ghelfi” (birth name Crépin,
°9/7/1870), and his brother Louis Ghelfi, °8/7/1880
(Louis isn’t mentioned as a son of Co(n)stantino
of previous mentioned family tree)


In another document, of the
“marriage between Paul Dieudonné Ghelfi & Marthe Crepin” (1/3/1909), (archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/ Link)
we find:

Constantin Ghelfi,
(†11/12/1882, Nord-Pas-de-Calais),
married  Adele Tarantola (négociante = merchant),
she was 55y. old on 1/3/1909.


Paul Dieudonné Ghelfi
,
son of
Constantin Ghelfi and Adele Tarantola (°14/7/1882, Paris-XIIème)
married  1/3/1909, Berck, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France,
with Marthe Flore Henriette Crepin (°1870 – †1946)

(Although de birth date of Paul Dieudonné Ghelfi is slightly
different than the one of previous mentioned family tree,
it clearly is the same person);


Jean Baptiste Ghelfi
,

domiciled at Paris, “30, Av. Daumesnil”, 47y. in 1909 (°1862?),
is formulated as the uncle of Paul Dieudonné Ghelfi; thus
J.-B. Ghelfi was a brother of Constantino, Laurent and Ferdinando! 


Valentin Ghelfi
,

domiciled at Paris, 7, Rue Charlot”, 37y. in 1909 (°1872),
voyageur de commerce (traveling salesman), is a brother of
Paul Dieudonné Ghelfi, thus being the son of Constantino Ghelfi
and a nephew of Laurent, J.-B. and Ferdinando Ghelfi.

⇒ “7, Rue Charlot” was one of the places were F.G.B.C. was
situated, at first, since October 1903, as 
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
(see further)

It can be noticed that Jean Baptiste isn’t mentioned as a brother
of 
Constantino in other family trees. Further explanation
will reveal the history 
of his participation in F.G.B.C.;
more facts will prove that J.-B. was 
indeed a brother
of Constantino, Laurent and Ferdinando.

 The date of death that is found here of Constantin (1882)
raises questions when we see the date of
bankruptcy of Ghelfi (Constantin),
“106, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine” in 1890 (!)
 


An article from 6 September 1890 shows that it was
Constantino Ghelfi 
who first started the business in
selling grinding- and sharpening stones, 
together with
Malaspinas Léopold & Capriata-Démosthênes Jean;

1890/ 6 September

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“déclarant en état de faillite ouverte: 1e Ghelfi (Constantin);
2e Malaspinas (Léopold); 3e Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean)
… le commerce de pierres et meules à aiguiser,
faub St.-Antoine, 106 …”
“declaring a state of open bankruptcy: 1st Ghelfi (Constantin);
2nd Malaspinas (Léopold); 3th Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean)
… the business sharpening- and grindstones,
faub St.-Antoine, 106 …”

Link

(more information: chapter Capriata-Demosthènes)


To make things even more difficult, when we compare different
family trees, although they all undoubtedly refer to the same
Constantino Ghelfi, with 
the same parents, same wife, same
brother Laurent (or Lorenzo), they 
all have a total different
year of death, or other children…

(just click on each name to open a direct link to the site):

Costantino GHELFI (°1850 – †?)

married Maria Adele TARANTOLA (°ca 1863 – †?)

children:

Paul Diedonné GHELFI (°1882 – †?)
Valentine Victorine GHELFI (°1890 – †1970)
Baptiste August Seraphin GHELFI (°1892 – †1950)


Constantin GHELFI (°1850 – †1882)

married Adele TARANTOLA (°1854 – †after 1909)

children:

Valentin GHELFI (°1872 – †after 1909)
Louis GHELFI (°1880 – †?)
Paul Dieudonne GHELFI (°1882 – †?) married 1 March 1909
with Marthe Flore Henriette CREPIN (°1870 – †1946)


CONSTANTINO GHELFI (°1850 – †1902)

married (1873)
MARIA ADELINA TARANTOLA (°ca 1851 – †after 1902)

children:

VALENTINO GHELFI (°1873 – †?)
MARIA ROSA TEOLINDA GHELFI (°1886 – †?)



How difficult and time consuming it may be to find the actual truth,
it is possible to find some interesting facts.


So let us try to put things in order:


Documented events of the Ghelfi’s in chronological order:

1883

“Bardotti & Ghelfi”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, meules en grès et pierres à aiguiser, Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti & Ghelfi, sandstone grind- and sharpening stones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link

This company was most probably owned by:
Bardotti“, “Laurent Ghelfi” & “Constantin Ghelfi” (see further)


1885

Formation of the company “Bardotti & Ghelfi”


(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, meules en grès et pierres à aiguiser, Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti & Ghelfi, sandstone grind- and sharpening stones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link1Link2Link3Link4

This company was owned by:
Bardotti“, “Laurent Ghelfi” & “Constantin Ghelfi” (see further)


1885, 28 Oktober

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Archives commerciales de la France,
Journal bi-hebdomadaire, paraissant le Mercredi et le Samedi Link)

Vendeurs

Acquéreurs

Domiciles

Fonds vendus

Ghelfi Laurent

Bardotti et Ghelfi

 fg. St-Antoine, 106

Droits soc. Bardotti et Ghelfi

Sellers

Purchasers

Address

Funds sold

Ghelfi Laurent

Bardotti & Ghelfi

 fg. St-Antoine, 106

Rights company Bardotti et Ghelfi

Link

 It was “Laurent Ghelfi” who had worked in the company,
and that he sold his rights to “Bardotti“& “Ghelfi“,
Ghelfi” being “(Constantin) Ghelfi” (see further)
Laurent Ghelfi” went on working with “D. Giovannacci
(see further)


1886/ 1 January

Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co”

(gallica.bnf.fr Link Archives commerciales de la France Link)

” … Paris – Formation de la Société en nom collectif Bardotti, Ghelfi et Cie (pierres et meules), faub. St-Antoine, 106
Durée: 3 ans du 1er janv. 1886 … Cette nouvelle Société est chargée de la liquidation de la Société entre MM. Bardotti et Ghelfi, et de celle entre MM. Hélin et Malaspina,
qui ont pris fin le 1er janv. 1886 … “
“… Paris – Formation of the company “Bardotti, Ghelfi & Cie (grind- and sharpening stones),faub. St-Antoine, 106
Duration: 3 years from 1/1/1886 … The new company is
responsible for the liquidation of the company between Messrs. Bardotti and Ghelfi, and the one between
MM. Hélin and Malaspina, which ended on 1/1/1886 … “

Link 


1886

 “Hélin” started in 1886 a new company, this after the dissolved partnership between Messrs. Bardotti and Ghelfi, and the one between MM. Hélin and Malaspina,
which ended on Jan. 1. 1886

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Hélin et Cie, pierres à aiguiser, meules et grès.
Vente de confiance, passage d’Angoulême (d’Augoulême), 9.”
Hélin & Co, sharpening stones, sandstone grindstones.
Sale of confidence, passage d’Angoulême (or d’Augoulême), 9.”

Link1Link2

Malaspina” then worked with “Bardotti” and “Ghelfi” and
became Bardotti, Ghelfi and Co, “faub St-Antoine, 106
– Duration: 3 years. It was “Constantin Ghelfi” that kept on
working with “Bardotti & Co” (see further)

Also, in 1886, “Laurent Ghelfi” started working with
Giovannacci“,”rue Ste-Marguerite, 29“, after the
company of the “Giovannacci brothers” dissolved
(see further, chapter “Bardotti, Giovannacci”)

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Giovannacci (D.) et L. Ghelfi”, pierres à aiguiser,
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29.”
Giovannacci (D.) & L. Ghelfi“, sharpening stones,
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29.

Link

 “Giovannacci (D.)” most probably is: Domenico GIOVANNACCI
(See further “Bardotti, Giovannacci)

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Bardotti et Ghelfi, pierres à aiguiser, meules en grès,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106”
Bardotti et Ghelfi, sharpening stones, sandstone grindstones,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 106

Link

·

Another company arose in 1886

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Montedonico, Ghelfi et Cie (voir pierres à aiguiser, Londres),
E. Terquem, boul. St-Martin, 15 (Paris)”
Montedonico, Ghelfi et Cie (see sharpening stones, Londen),
E. Terquem, boul. St-Martin, 15 (Paris)”

Link

( → See “1889” to know which “Ghelfi
worked with which “Montedonico“)

“E. Terquem, boul. St-Martin, 15 (Paris)” was probably
an agent for “Montedonico, Ghelfi et Cie”, since “E. Terquem”
is written very specifically next to “Montedonico, Ghelfi et Cie”
The address, “boul. St-Martin, 15”, belongs to “E. Terquem”.
Besides being an agent, he is also found on the page of
“libraires & éditeurs” (“booksellers & publishers”)

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

“Terquem (Em.), commissionnaire (agent), Meslay, 22,
libraires et éditeurs, boul. St-Martin, 15 (Paris)”

Link1, Link2


1889

(archive.org Link, “The Watchmaker & jeweller,
silversmith & optician”Link)

” … the partnership … between … “Giovanni Baptista Ghelfi
and “Joseph Montedonico“, … Hone, Oilstone, and
Grindstone Merchants, at 44 (or 54?), Great Sutton-street,
Clerkenwell, under … the firm “Montedonico, Ghelfi, and Co.“,
has been dissolved, by mutual consent, … 15th … July, 1889…

G.B. Ghelfi.
J. Montedonico

Giuseppe “Joseph” Montedonico (father = Dominico Montedonico,
farmer), ° around 1850, Genoa, Italy, †4 Jan. 1895, Holborn, is listed
in the 1881 census as the head of a household (oil stone merchant)
which included his wife Mary Coleman (married 21 June, 1871,
Bristol, †1891) and several Italian-born male boarders. They had
a son Francesco “Frank” Montedonico detto Rosaio, °1879, and
a daughter Ellen, ° around 1884. Joseph remarried with
Alice (?) in 1892, Holborn.

Joseph Montedonico” addresses:
35 Rosemary Road, Camberwell, London (Census 1881 Link)
83 Peckham Park Road, Surrey, Camberwell, London (Census 1891)
198 Goswell Road, Clerkenwell, Middlesex, London (ar. 1892-’95)
and, together with “Giovanni Baptista Ghelfi“:
Hone, Oilstone, and Grindstone Merchants” at
44 (or 54?), Great Sutton-street, Clerkenwell, London (1886 – 1889)

(Link1Link2Link3Link4)

For now, I can’t proof that “Giovanni Baptista Ghelfi” was in fact
Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi“, who worked with “Laurent Ghelfi” and
D. Giovannacci” (see further, 1897), striking though is that
Giovanni” is the Italian equivalent of “Jean“!


1889/ 24 February

Formation of the company “Ghelfi & Cie”

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France 1874-1955 Link)

“Paris- Formation de la Société … “Ghelfi et Cie”,
fab. de pierres en tous genres, faub. St-Antoine, 106.
– Durée: 6 ans … “
“Paris- Formation of the company…“Ghelfi and Co.”,
fab. stones of all kinds, faub. St-Antoine, 106
.
– Duration: 6 years … “

Link


1890/ 6 September

An article from 6 September 1890 clearly shows that it was
Constantino Ghelfi” 
who worked at “faub St.-Antoine, 106“,
first with “Bardotti” and “Laurent Ghelfi”, then, 1889
together
with 
Malaspinas Léopold” & “Capriata-Démosthênes Jean“,
they went bankrupt:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France 1874-1955 Link)

“… déclarant en état de faillite ouverte:
1e Ghelfi (Constantin); 2e Malaspinas (Léopold);
3e Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean) …
le commerce de pierres et meules à aiguiser,
faub St.-Antoine, 106 …”
“… declaring a state of open bankruptcy:
1st Ghelfi (Constantin); 2nd Malaspinas (Léopold);
3th Capriata-Démosthènes (Jean) …
the business of sharpening- and grindstones,
faub St.-Antoine, 106 …”

Link

This also shows that “Bardotti” disappeared out of the picture
between 1886-1889

(more information: chapter “Demosthènes, Malaspinas”)

To conclude:
The company at “faub St.-Antoine, 106
always had 3 business partners:

≤1883-1885:
 “Bardotti & Ghelfi”BardottiConstantin & Laurent Ghelfi
1886:
 “Bardotti, Ghelfi & Co”BardottiConstantin GhelfiMalaspina
1889:
 “Ghelfi & Co”Constantin GhelfiMalaspinas;
CapriataDémosthènes


1888-1889

Both “Bardotti” and “Giovannacci” rented stores
at “Rue-Saint Marguerite“.

27, Rue Saint Marguerite” (owned by widow “Fould”
(birth name “Simonin”)), was rented by “Bardotti“.
He had become a wine dealer, ……

29, Rue Saint Marguerite” (owned by “Pochet”) was rented
by “Giovannacci“, he also was a wine dealer, and
kept on selling sharpening stones, just like before.
(Along with “Laurent Ghelfi“)

They both had to leave their homes…
A
 judgment of 12 October 1888 / Decision of 14 February 1889,
required the expropriation (eminent domain) of:

“R. Ste-Marg. 27, 29,…”,

this for the expansion of the Rue Sainte-Marguerite;

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkBulletin municipal officiel de la Ville de Paris,1888/12/23,1889/2/18)

Noms des propriétaires

Noms des locataires

Rue Sainte-Marguerite, 27

Veuve FOULD (Gustave-Eugène),
née SIMONIN
(Valérie-Joséphine-Wilhelmine)

BARDOTTI, marchand de vins, …

Rue Sainte Marguerite, 29

POCHET
(Alexandre-Hector)

GIOVANNACCI, marchand de vins, marchant de pierres à aiguiser, …

Link1Link2


Around 1890

Because of this, around 1890, “D.Giovannacci & L. Ghelfi“, moved
to “84, Faubourg St.-Antoine“; their steam plant (factory) moved
 from “rue Ste-Marguerite, 29 to “r. de Charonne, 61” (see further)


1890/ 1 November

A blog, “PARIS 1876-1939 : LES PERMIS DE CONSTRUIRE” shows
a building permit in which it states that “106, rue faub St.-Antoine”
was demolished for expansion of the Trousseau Hospital;

“106-126 faubourg Saint-Antoine (12e arr.)”
“Démolition pour l’agrandissement de l’hôpital Trousseau”
“1 novembre 1890 (travaux commencés)”

Link

(On 9 December 1904, “106, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine”
(12e arr.), owned by “E. Merland”, became a building with 7 floors
(Architects G. Poirier & E. Merland)


1891

After the bankruptcy in 1890, the name “Constantino Ghelfi
isn’t found again in the papers, maybe he had passed away…

His brother “Laurent Ghelfi” kept continuing the business,
along with “D. Giovannacci“, this since 1886 

The following text of 1891 seems to be a description of a
submitted trademark, used by 
D.Giovannacci and L. Ghelfi“,
used on grindstones, sharpening stones,…

 (books.google.be, Bulletin officiel de la propriété industrielle et commerciale 1891, p.725)

” M.p. (Marque Patentée) être apposée sur de meules,
pierres à aiguiser,…
“D. Giovannacci et L. Ghelfi”, négociants a Paris.
Cette marque est de dimensions … “
” M.p. (patented trademarkapplied on grindstones,
sharpening stones
,…
D. Giovannacci and L. Ghelfi”, merchants in Paris.
This brand has dimensions … “

Link

I’m not sure, but I believe the concerned trademark was:

* G & G *


1892/ 30 October
(private collection):

A post card and stamp, resembling the coöperation
between “D.Giovannacci & L.Ghelfi“, and that they’ve
moved to “84, Faubourg St.-Antoine
(formerly: “rue Ste-Marguerite, 29” (see 1886)):

“Stamp”: “D.Giovannacci & L. Ghelfi”,
“84, Faubourg St.-Antoine”, Paris

1892-d-giovannacci-l-ghelfi-tampon1

1892-d-giovannacci-l-ghelfi-tampon1-kopie

1892-d-giovannacci-l-ghelfi-tampon2


1893

 “D.Giovannacci & L. Ghelfi“, 84, Faubourg St.-Antoine“;
their steam plant (factory) was moved
 from
rue Ste-Marguerite, 29” (see 1886-1889) to “r. de Charonne, 61

(gallica.bnf.fr Link ; Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature et de l’administration … 1857-1908 Link)

Giovannacci & Ghelfi, Scierie de pierres, fabr. et montage de
meules en tous genres et de toutes provenances,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 84, usine à vapeur,
r. de Charonne, 61 (anciennement, r. Ste-Marguerite, 29)”
Giovannacci & Ghelfi, Mill stones, manuf. and mounting
grinding wheels of all kinds and from all sources,
Faub.-St-Antoine, 84, steam plant,
r. Charonne, 61 (formerly r. Ste-Marguerite, 29)”

Link


Then B. (Jean-Baptiste) Ghelfi joined (see further for more
evidence 
why “B. Ghelfi” is in fact “J.-B. (Jean-Baptiste) Ghelfi”):

 1897/ 31 December:

The company Giovannacci D. and L. & B. Ghelfi was formed
(“84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine”)

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

“Formations de sociétés”
Giovannacci D. et L. et B. Ghelfi” – Pierres à aiguiser … Paris”
“Formations of companies”
“Giovannacci D. and L. & B. Ghelfi” “Sharpening stones, Paris”

Link


1898/ 11 November

On old post cards of 1898, there is information to be found about a steam plant (usines a vapeur) and a waterworks factory in
Massa, Italy (usine hydraulique)

They also had a section in London and New-York!

“D. Giovannacci, L. & B. Ghelfi”
“Scierie de pierres”
“Fabrique & Montage de Meules”
Bureaux et Magasins: “84, Faubourg St.-Antoine
Usine a vapeur: “61, Rue de Charonne ”
Usine hydraulique, à Canevara, près Massa (Italie)
Succursales à Londres et New-York
“D. Giovannacci, L. & B. Ghelfi”
“Sawmill of stones”
“Manufacturing & Mounting of Grindstones”
Bureaux et Magasins: “84, Faubourg St.-Antoine
Usine a vapeur: “61, Rue de Charonne ”
Usine hydraulique, à Canevara, près Massa (Italie)
Succursales à Londres et New-York

1902

 1902/ 17 January

Ghelfi (L. & B.) sold the fund/ shares
of the factory of sharpening stones 
at:
“84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine, Paris” to Giovannacci:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

Vendeurs Acquéreurs Domiciles Fonds vendus
Ghelfi
(L. & B.)
Giovannacci 84, fg. St-Antoine Parts fab. pierres
à aiguiser”
Sellers Purchasers Address Funds sold
Ghelfi
(L. & B.)
Giovannacci 84, fg. St-Antoine Shares mnf.
sharpening stones

Link


1902/ 1 January – 31 December 

Actually, D.Giovannacci became the owner of the fund
on 1 January 1902 
and resold it to Mr. Belle
on 31 December 1902

(https://books.google.be/books;
Journal des tribunaux de commerce 1910)

“… Giovannacci devint, à dater du 1 janvier 1902, seul propriétaire dudit fonds, qu’il revendit le 31 décembre 1902 à Belle,
demandeur au procès actuel … “
“… Giovannacci became, as from 1 January 1902, the
only owner of the funds, he resold it December 311902
to Belle, the plaintiff in the current trial … “

Link


The building itself, not the fund, was still property of “Ghelfi”;

(https://books.google.be/books,
Journal des tribunaux de commerce 1910
)

” …En ce qui touche “F. Ghelfi et Cîe”: … la preuve que ladite maison n’a été créée que pour faire échec aux droits acquis par Belle; qu’en effet, dès l’origine de sa constitution, se révèle l’intention de détourner la correspondance de l’ancienne maison, sous le prétexte que Ghelfi étant le propriétaire de l’immeuble où s’exploite son ancien fonds, devenu la propriété de Belle, toute la correspondance venue au nom de Ghelfi devait lui être remise, et ce, alors qu’il n’habite pas dans cet immeuble, et que, manifestement, les lettres qui parviennent a son nom sont des lettres commerciales destinées à Belle… “
” …Regarding “F.Ghelfi et Cie”: …proof that the concerning company was created only to defeat the rights acquired by Belle; in fact, from the beginning of its formation, there is proof of intentionally diverting the correspondence of the old company, on the pretext that Ghelfi, being the owner of the
building where his former fund was situated, which became
property of Belle, wished that all correspondence in the name
of Ghelfi was to be given to him, whilst he didn’t lived in that house. The letters that came in the name of Ghelfi were in fact lettersmeant for Belle and his business… “

Link

 

It isn’t clear in this document who in fact was the owner,
but it must 
have been “Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi”;

 A blog, “PARIS 1876-1939 : LES PERMIS DE CONSTRUIRE”,
shows us this building permit for making a building with 7 floors:

“84 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine” (12e arr.)
Propriétaire: Ghelfi, 30 avenue Daumesnil
Architecte: Jacquemin, 30 avenue Daumesnil
Construction 7 étages
1 mai 1908

Link

On 1 May 1908, the house on “84, r. du Fg. St.-Antoine” was
property of “Ghelfi”, who was living at “30, Av. Daumesnil”
(which was an apartment where also his architect lived).

We also know from another document from 1909 (see further)
that 
“Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi” was domiciled at:
Paris, “30, Av. Daumesnil”. 

This, together with the fact that the trial was held in 1908-1909,
makes that “Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi” was indeed the owner of
“84, rue du Faubourg St.-Antoine”

 Later on (see chapter “Belle”) we will see that
the company of “Belle” moved in 1909 or earlier, from
“84, r. du Fg. St.-Antoine” to “87, r. du Fg. St.-Antoine”

We can find this and a lot more information in the following
two books which include a court trial of 1908-1909 of
“Belle” against “F.Ghelfi & Cie” and “J.-B. Ghelfi”: 

https://books.google.be;
Journal des tribunaux de commerce 1910,
Link1Link2

https://books.google.be;
Gazette judiciaire et commerciale de Lyon…,1910,
Link1Link2.

The contracts of the sold fund between
“L. & B. Ghelfi” and “Giovannacci” and
“Giovannacci” and “Belle” included some clauses;

 “I. ‘Tout acquéreur successif d’un fonds de commerce peut invoquer à son profit la clause aux termes de laquelle le vendeur primitif de ce fonds s’est interdit pendant une période limitée de s’intéresser, directement ou indirectement, à une industrie similaire.Toutefois, en dehors d’un concert frauduleus établi, cet acquéreur ne peut opposer cette clause qu’au vendeur en personne et non aux
membres de sa famille ou de son entourage…”
“I. ‘All successive purchasers of a business may invoke in his favor the clause under which the original seller of this fund is prohibited for a limited period to be interested, directly or indirectly, in a similar industry.
However, outside established fraud, that purchaser may
oppose this clause against the seller in person,
not to members of his family… “
“Il. Toute personne a le droit de créer un fonds de
commerce sous son nom patronymique, mais elle ne doit pas chercher à produire une confusion entre son fonds et une autre industrie similaire existant antérieurement sous le même nom…”
“Il. Everyone has the right to establish business
assets
 under his family name, but it may not cause
confusion
 between these funds and other similar existing
industry or industry, previously known
under the same name
…”
“III. Le nom commercial, à moins de stipulation contraire, reste attaché au fonds de commerce vendu. Chaque
acquéreur successif est autorisé à faire usage de ce nom et ne saurait être recherché à ce sujet par un concurrent portant le même nom patronymique… “
“III. The trade name, unless otherwise indicated,
remains attached to the sold business.
Each successive purchaser is authorised to make use
of the name and can not be sought in this regard by
a competitor with the same surname… “


These clauses, in order to reduce the risk of unfair
competition, obligated “D.Giovannacci” not to be
interested in a similar trade for 30 years, the same applied
to Laurent and J.-B. Ghelfi, but for a period of ten years.

” …Giovannacci s’interdisait de s’intéresser ou de faire valoir un commerce similaire pendant trente ans,et qu’il transmettait à son successeur le bénéfice d’une clause semblable, qui stipulait que ses précédents associés
Laurent et J-B Ghelfi s’interdisaient d’une facon absolue d’exercer pendant dix ans, en France ou à l’étranger, le commerce ou la fabrication des meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir de tous genres, et de s’intéresser directement
ou indirectement dans un commerce similaire à celui exploité par la Société D. Giovannacci, L. et B. Ghelfi …”
“…Giovannacci was forbidden to take
interest or to claim a similar trade for thirty years,
he passed the benefit of such a clause on to his successor,
in which it is stated that his previous associates
Laurent and J.-B. Ghelfi” were forbidden in an absolute
way to exercise for ten years, in France or abroad, a
trade or manufacture of grinding- , sharpening wheels and -stones,… or to be interested directly or indirectly in a similar trade, operated by the former company
“D.Giovannacci, L. and B. Ghelfi” … “

Link

The text above proves that “B. Ghelfi” of the company
“D.Giovannacci, L. and B. Ghelfi” is indeed
J.-B. Ghelfi (Jean Baptiste)


1903
(beginning of October)

Fernand Ghelfi, who had been working at Mr. Belle, as supervisor/controller of deliveries, started a new company, in the same trade as his brothers and their former company,
under the name:

“F. Ghelfi and Co.” 

at 7, rue Charlot, Paris


(https://books.google.be/books,
Gazette judiciaire et commerciale de Lyon,1910)

“… Belle c (contre) J.-B. Ghelfi et Ghelfi & Cie
Paris. – Il existait à Paris, “Rue du faubourg Saint-Antoine, 84”,
un fonds de fabrique et de vente de pierres…

… exploité par la société D.Giovannacci, L. et B. Ghelfi;
Attendu qu’il est acquis aux débats que, dans le commencement d’octobre 1903, Fernand (Ferdinando) Ghelfi, frére des sus-nommés, qui était resté employé chez Belle, comme cocher livreur, fonda, sous la raison sociale “F.Ghelfi et Cie” une société en commandite pour exploiter, “7, rue Charlot”, à Paris…”
“… Belle against J.-B. Ghelfi et Ghelfi & Cie
… there was in Paris, “84,Rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine”,
a fund with a factory and sale of stones …

“… operated by the company
“D.Giovannacci, L. and B. Ghelfi”;
Whereas it is not disputed that in the beginning of October
1903, Fernand (Ferdinando) Ghelfi, brother of the
above-named, who had been employed at “Belle”,
as supervisor/controller of deliveries, founded
“F.Ghelfi and Co.”, a limited partnership,
“7, rue Charlot”, Paris …”


Link

In 1908, “Belle” accused “F.Ghelfi & Cie”
of practising unfair competition
 

Fernand Ghelfi, in contrast to his brothers Laurent and
J.-B. Ghelfi, had 
the right to start up a new company under
his family name, 
because he had nothing to do with the
previous company of his brothers.

 By creating the company “F.Ghelfi & Cie” , Fernand Ghelfi caused confusion though with the former company with the same name. He had taken advantage of his name, Ghelfi, that was well known (because of his brothers) in the stone industry. 

“… qu’il est établi que la confusion a été entretenue dans l’esprit de la clientèle … notamment, des lettres adressées rue Charlot,au siège de la Société Ghelfi et cie, sous le nom de Belle,par un client de celui-ci, ont été conservées par la maison Ghelfi et Cie, qui en a profité pour solliciter les ordres du client en question, lequel avait cru que le siège de l’ancienne maison Ghelfi avait été transféré à cette nouvelle adresse…”
“… it is established that the confusion was maintained in the minds of customers … including letters, send by a client of “Belle”addressed to rue Charlot, the headquarters of the company “Ghelfi & Cie“. These letters were being retained by “Ghelfi & Cie“, who had taken the opportunity to solicit orders to the client in question, who believed that the seat of the old house Ghelfi was transferred to this new address…”

Link

 “F.Ghelfi & Cie” was accused of setting up “F.Ghelfi & Cie” and
misusing the name of the former company as a mean to
divert clients to the new company.

 Since he had worked for Belle at “84, r. du Faubourg St-Antoine”, he had access to lists of clients and catalogs. Ghelfi copied the catalogs (even with the same mistakes in them) of the successors of his brothers and used them as means to divert the correspondence to his new company, “7, rue Charlot, Paris”.

(https://books.google.be/books,
Journal des tribunaux de commerce 1910
)

“…Attendu enfin que F. Ghelfi et Cie ont constitué un
catalogue de leurs produits, dans lequel ils reproduisent
servilement les termes du catalogue de Belle,
dont ils s’approprient même les erreurs…”
“…Considering finally that “F.Ghelfi & Cie” had a
catalog of their products, in which they slavishly
reproduced the terms of the catalog of Belle,
they even had taken over the same mistakes…”

Link

“J.-B. Ghelfi” (Jean Baptiste) in his turn was accused for being interested in the business by financially sponsoring Fernand Ghelfi, in order to help him setting up the business; he was found not guilty

“F.Ghelfi & Cie” had put a counterclaim against Belle, that he had misused the name “Ghelfi”

“… Sur la demande reconventionnelle :
Attendu que F. Ghelfi et Cie prétendent que Belle
aurait cherché à créer une confusion entre sa maison et
la leur, en apposant sur son magasin, en lettres
apparentes, le nom de Ghelfi, et qu’il y aurait
lieu de lui faire défense de faire figurer
ce nom sur sa devanture,
aussi bien que sur ses imprimés …”
“… The counterclaim:
Whereas “F. Ghelfi & Cie” claim that Belle would have
sought to create confusion between his house and theirs,
by placing the name “Ghelfi” in bold letters on his store,
and in their defence, it would be appropriate to include
his name on the front, as well as on printed papers …”

The court stated that “Belle” had bought the fund Giovannacci D. and L. & B. Ghelfi”, and that “Belle” had the right to use the name “Ghelfi”. Since this name is part of the fund, the name is actually
being sold together with the fund.

 Fernand Ghelfi and his company “F.Ghelfi & Cie” were found guilty for unfair competition, but it wasn’t necessary to close
“F. Ghelfi & Cie” at “7, rue Charlot”.

“Attendu que tous ces faits démontrent à l’évidence le manque de scrupules de la  Société “F. Ghelfi et Cie”, et constituent des actes de concurrence déloyale; qu’il n’y a pas lieu, toutefois, d’ ordonner la fermeture du fonds litigieux celui-ci étant entre les mains de Fernand Ghelfi et d’un commanditaire”
“Whereas all these facts show clearly the lack of scruples of the Company “F. Ghelfi & Cie”, and showing acts of unfair competition; it is not necessary, however, to order the closure of the disputed funds, property of Fernand Ghelfi and a sponsor

Link

The mentioned sponsor is most probably “Jean-Baptiste Ghelfi”.

There is no mentioning of Laurent Ghelfi in this article, besides that he was one of the previous associates of “D. Giovannacci”. 


1904

Although it was “F.Ghelfi & Cie”, “7, r. Charlot”, Paris,
we also see “Ghelfi & Cie”:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire du bâtiment, des travaux publics
et des arts industriels… / Sageret – 1904 Link
)

” … Meules en grès a aiguiser et a moudre
Ghelfi et Cie, r. Charlot, 7 …”

Link

 Being at “7, rue Charlot”, this has to be “F. Ghelfi & Cie”,


1907/ 29 March
(courtesy of Sebastian, razorlovestones.wordpress)

“Manufacture et Montage de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser & a Polir”
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
Ateliers Bureaux & Magasins
“7, Rue Charlot, Paris”

1907 F


1909/ 1 March

The document of the “marriage between
Paul Dieudonné Ghelfi & Marthe Crepin”
 (1/3/1909),
 (http://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/ Link )
describes:

Ghelfi Valentin, domiciled at “7,Rue Charlot”, traveling salesman,
brother of Paul Dieudonné Ghelfi (sons of Constantino Ghelfi)

and

Ghelfi Jean Baptiste, domiciled at Paris “30,Av. Daumesnil”,
47y. in 1909, uncle of Paul Dieudonné Ghelfi (see previously)


1910/ 26 August

“Ferdinand Ghelfi” was still active in the business; 

http://www.kiosque-lorrain.fr/ L’est Républicain No. 8404.,
Vendredi 26 Août 1910

“Chaudière non contrôlée. — M. Grandidier, contrôleur des mines à Nancy, a trouvé à Vacqueville, dans une carrière, une chaudière à vapeur dont le contrôle n’avait pas été fait conformément à la loi. Le propriétaire de la machine, M.Ghelfi Ferdinand, industriel à Paris, est condamné à 16 fr. d’amende.”
Uncontrolled furnace. – Mr Grandidier mines controller at Nancy, found in Vacqueville in a quarry a steam furnace whose control had not been done according to law. The owner of the machine, M.Ghelfi Ferdinandindustrial in Paris, was sentenced to a fine of 16 French franks.”

Link


 1911/ 16 April

“Valentin Ghelfi”, son of “Constantino Ghelfi” bought a
grindstone factory, situated at “80, 
r. St-Maur., Paris”, thereby
leaving “7, r.Charlot” and 
creating two company’s that sold
grind- and sharpening stones

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkArchives commerciales de la France Link)

Sellers Purchasers Funds sold
Galtié Ghelfi Grindstones, 80, St.Maur.

Link

more information: chapter “Zanarelli, Galtié” 


1912

 The period of ten years in which it was forbidden for Laurent and J.-B. Ghelfi to practice their trade in an absolute way came to an end. If they wanted to, they again were allowed to set up a business as before. Around this period we begin to see “F.Ghelfi & Cie”,
but now
 with Birolleau also being involved.

I would think that it is perfectly possible that one or more of the brothers Fernand, Laurent and Jean-Baptiste could be in control of the company “F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”, but chances are that only “Ferdinand Ghelfi” was still active in the stone business. 

As we will further see, chances are that Laurent Ghelfi wasn’t part
of the business anymore, because he possibly had moved
back to Italy (1902-1909…)


1912 – 1913
(Private collection)

or earlier, we begin to see:

“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”

(or F.G.B.C.)

for example on post cards which says:

“Manufacture et Montage
de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser & a Polir”
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
“7, Rue Charlot, Paris”

1913-f-ghelfi-cie-birolleau1913-f-ghelfi-cie-birolleau-1

First located at “7, Rue Charlot”, later also at
“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris” (since 1922 or earlier).

The “maisons” or “houses / establishments” of
“F.Ghelfi & cie” and “Birolleau” became united.
(see chapter Birolleau for deeper insights)


1913-1925

(see further, chapter Birolleau)


1925

In search of who was active of the Ghelfi’s, we see that many
directories 
since 1925, only had records of Ghelfi Valentin,
“80, St.-Maur, Paris” who sold razor-, grind-, sharpening stones, corundum stones, oil- , sandstones,…

In those directories, “F.Ghelfi & Cie” isn’t found; what can be found is “Birolleau” and “Belle”, both being in the same business as “Valentin Ghelfi”

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel.
Répertoire général de la production française 
Link)
Link1Link2Link3Link4Link5

“Ghelfi (Valentin), 80, r. St-Maur, Paris”

1926

Some directories contained “Ghelfi & Cie, but as we further
will see, the company was probably owned by Birolleau
(see chapter Birolleau)

(https://books.google.be/books, Le Génie rural,1926 Link)

“Ghelfi Cie”, Anc. Etabl., “47, rue de Saintonge”

1935

Thereafter, since 1935, only
“Vve (= widow) Valentin” is mentioned in directories;

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel;
Répertoire général de la production française 
Link)
Link1, Link2Link3Link4Link5Link6Link7

“GHELFI (Vve Valentin)”, “80, r. St-Maur, Paris”
Pierres et meules à aiguiser. Meules montées.

This is also the case in directories of:

1938

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel;
Répertoire général de la production française 
Link)
Link1Link2Link3Link4Link5Link6Link7

Apparently, Valentin Ghelfi must have passed away
between 1925 and 1935. Every Valentin, mentioned in
previous family trees (although 
with different birth dates,
different brothers, sisters,…), could fit in this story 
(besides
a female Valentine, °1890 – †1970, found in the first family tree)


1939/ 22 July
(Private collection)

“Manufacture de pierres à aiguiser en tous génres et qualités”
“Monsieur le Chevalier (decorated) Laurent Ghelfi”
“Agent consulaire de la republique de Honduras”
“(Massa-Carrara) – Pontremoli – Italy”

1939-laurent-ghelfi-chevalier-1

Apparently “Sir Laurent Ghelfi” went back to Italy
(Pontremoli – MS), 
as consultant of the Embassy of Honduras.

Now, we know there was a factory in Massa…

We also know by investigating geneanet.org Link,
(click on the following names for further information),
that one of the children of the first marriage of
Laurent GHELFI
, “Anita Marie Rose GHELFI
19/11/1886, Paris, “99, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine”),
died 11/6/1974, Pontremoli ( MS ), at the age of 87 years. 

She married 14 September 1909, Mulazzo ( MS ),
with “Ernesto ZAMPETTI
 

So, their daughter had moved back to Italy in 1909 or earlier,
possibly 
Laurent Ghelfi went along with her…

When noticing that the second wife of “Laurent GHELFI ,
Diomira Anna Pia MICHELONI“, also moved to Italy
(died 
17 January 1968, Milano, 103 y.), this is an indication
that this would indeed be a possibility.
 

An additional indicator of when “Laurent” was
still living in Paris, can be found in family trees;
Albert Laurent Luois Seraphine GHELFI
“, from his
second marriage, was 
born 11 November 1891,
“99, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine”.

Together, along with the fact that Laurent Ghelfi, and his
brother, 
sold the fund / shares of the factory of sharpening
stones
 at “84, Rue du Faubourg St-Antoine, Paris”
on 1902/ 17 January, it is possible 
that Laurent
moved 
back to Italy between 1902-1909…

Questions about who were in fact the owners of “F.G.B.C.“,
and questions about the fact that in neither of the directories
1925-1938 “F.Ghelfi & Cie” is found, are maybe better
understood by investigating the Birolleau family…



⇐ Previous chapter: “F.G.B.C., Introduction”
⇒ Next chapter: “Birolleau family”